A&P Anyone ever try to sell your prints online?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TurkeyChicken, Apr 19, 2007.

1. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I was thinking the past few days about making a Co-op type site where artists could sell their own prints for their own prices and on their own terms.

Basically what would happen is you, the artist, would join the site and upload a few pieces of your artwork (just low-res web versions) with a description, price and shipping options and the site would display them.

There would be stats for each person so they could see how many times their art was viewed/ordered and how much money they made.

I'm not sure how the actual printing and shipping would be handled... I'm leaning more toward letting each artist handle that on their own.

As far as the site goes, maybe 5% of each sale would go to the site, the rest would go to the artist.

thoughts... opinions... already sites like this?

//edit:

Cliffs: the site is now under construction with a late august estimated release date:
    http://indeprinted.com/

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  2. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

there are sites like this... cant remember the name though... saw it about a year ago... dont know if they made a go of it.

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

4. skolen

skolen Guest

Our shop buys a lot of stock photos for jobs from istockphoto. So there's some money to be made if you snap the right shot.

5. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I've used them before for stock photography for websites... but I'm talking more about prints for posters and what-not.

So you wouldn't really be buying the digital photo, you're ordering a poster.

6. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

INteresting. I might be up for something like this. I have a lot of unique Alaskan Landscape, and macro Nature Shots.

I think the problem would be web promotion. There are GOZILLIONS of sites that offer prints etc. Getting unique visitors may be difficult.

AFA reproduction, I use Shutterfly in my family Photo gallery (local link that exports to shutterfly order page) and it works flawlessly. I just don't know if Shutterfly does poster or above normal size prints....Hmm..

7. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I have a domain name that might work for something like this. It wouldn't be too hard to set up either. I might look into it over the summer. If I do set something like this up, I'll let you guys know.

As far as promoting goes... I think doing some search engine optimization and starting off with a good base of images will do wonders

8. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Speaking of Search Optimizers, I love the new marketing ploy they use...Sending an add in the mail that looks like an invoice..:rolleyes:

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

who prints the posters and ships them the photographer?

10. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

That's what I'm not sure about yet and why I was asking if anyone already sells their prints online.

I'm thinking there would be an option so the photographer could print and ship their own (a more personal touch... including a thank you note or whatever) or have them send their high res prints to someone at the website and we'd be in charge of finding a printer and shipping them.

The only issue with that is the amount the photographer makes. With having someone at the website make the prints, the amount will have to be taken out of the payment before it's sent to the photographer.

I'm seeing there being an option when you put a print up for sale that lets you choose if you want to print and ship or if you want the site to do it. If you have the site do it, it'll tell you how much it costs for each size and then you can enter in your cost for the print.

This is really just a brainstorm session right now. I don't know financially how feasible it is... although I think if it got enough buzz it could really pay off for some photographers.

11. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Photographer? It would be for those wanting to buy prints FROM the photographer...Right?

Edit...ooops...read it wrong.

12. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Personally I'd rather buy the digital copy and print it how I want. Some people may be too busy to print the poster and ship it out themselves, so the option of one or both would be cool. I think you could get some buzz for a site like that may take a few months to take off but it sounds like a good idea wish I thought of it :hs:

13. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

yeah. There are a few sites with the same idea out right now... but when you look at them you go :ugh2:

All you need is a nice clean simple site that showcases the art and i believe you're good to go.

14. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Well, there are also people like us on this forum who don't have easy access to a $5,000 printer.

In a situation like that, it might be better to have someone else handle the printing.

15. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

I plan on doing this soon.

Im shopping around for a site to submit my gallery too.

Things Im looking for.

-The ability to set you own prices.
    -The site does everything. Printing to shipping. All I do is upload and set prices/options.
    -The site offers a good selection of print sizes and types.
    -The site offers a nice framing selection option and cuts me in on the sale of the frames.
    -Site stats
    -The ability for me to password protect/hide sub galleries. So when a shoot an event for someone I can send them and all their family to the site for prints.
    -High in the search engines to get a good amount of browse traffic.
    -No yearly or low limit storage fees.

16. porsch1909

porsch1909 OT Supporter

This sounds like a fantastic idea!

I would definatly be up for this. You could have the option that a person can buy a print of the poster, any size, and the option to buy the file and the copyright for the file so they can do whatever they want with it.

I am sure everyone has a local shop that can print poster size images. If not you can get them printed online then ship them to the customer.

Great idea!

17. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I have already been thinking about all that except for the "sub gallery" type idea.

Actually, it did briefly cross my mind, but I figured it might not be that useful... but maybe it is :eek3:

I'm going to start on this within the next month or two and probably ask some of you guys if you'd like to submit a few pieces to get the site started.

There wouldn't be any costs for the photographer and there isn't a minimum of how much you can sell.

I'm thinking the payment would work similar to Adsense... you get sent a check at the end of each month with the totals for that month. That way we're nto sending out 100 checks a month :dunno:

18. di3soft

di3soft Guest

sounds like a good idea to me, so in on this

19. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

:cool:

I just bought indeprinted.com

It plays off Independent and Printed.... since that's what the entire site revolves around. Independent people coming together to sell their prints on their own terms.

I'll definitely be asking you guys for some ideas and stuff during development and you can be the first round of people to add some art too :bigthumb:

20. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I'm thinking something like this for the logo... still need a tagline/slogan that relates to independent art being good and well priced.

[​IMG]

//edit: that's supposed to be a frame around the logo. I'm trying to do it on my trackpad right now so i'll have to make a more stylized version later.

If someone else wants to give it a shot, go for it :dunno:

21. Traitor

Traitor New Member

indeprinted? maybe im pronouncing it wrong but it makes no sense to me

edit: read post above saying how you got it

22. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

yeah. It's really kinda two words (as the logo tries to point out)

Inde(pendent) and Printed

23. Traitor

Traitor New Member

Im in.

24. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

:x:

Judging by some of the shots Ive seen on here... it seems a lot of you guys will have some really nice prints you can produce :eek3:

The cool part about this is... there's really no reason for an artist not to submit their work. If their stuff sucks, no one will buy it and they're not out anything. If their art is really good, they'll sell a lot and make some nice cash and still not have to do anything.

I think this shit can take off big time :coold:

25. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Alright guys... Just did some math on how much things would cost and here's what our initial estimates are for a 24x36" print:

-It will cost us roughly $12.50 to print and ship a poster.
    -We will take in 15% to cover credit card processing fees and server/bandwidth fees.

A cost breakdown will look like this:

Cost to Customer => Payment to you
    $25 => $8.75
    $30 => $13
    $35 => $17.25
    $40 => $21.5
    $45 => $25.75
    $50 => $30

Not too shabby IMO for simply signing up and sending us a digital copy of a print.