MMA Anyone ever train at a LA Boxing

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by fevs, Apr 17, 2008.

1. fevs

fevs New Member

One just opened up close to my house,(Mamaroneck NY) they offer boxing and MMA classes. I know they are all different but does anyone have any experiences with the franchises. I hope they are not mcdojos :x:

2. Diabolist

Diabolist New Member

a couple cop friends i have train at one in NJ due to the reasonable cost.. he wont come to where i train (Miletich) based on like the higher impact more direct contact we have.. so my guess based on that is its relatively soft.. i think its good on the workout side.. from what ive been told..

3. Diabolist

Diabolist New Member

its really going to depend on the trainer at easch location though.. sure because its a franchise there are going to be guidelines that will keep them similar.. but at the end of the day its the instructor that makes the class.. MOST of those places have some kind of free try.. id take advantage of that before making any commitment.. also id investigate any more traditional mma studios in your area.. try them free for a day also and really compare what is best for you..

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

forrest griffin trains at one.

5. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

One opened up near my house not too long ago. I checked it out eventhough I had no desire to train there. They had a really nice place with top of the line equipment. Plenty of bags and mat space for everyone. However, they had HORRIBLE trainers. So I guess it varies location to location.

6. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Xtreme Couture is an LA Boxing?

7. teep

teep New Member

i saw an ad for LA boxing before where someone was pursuing his life long dream of becoming an "ultimate fighter". fucking terrible. i hate that the popularity of MMA is sprouting mcdojo places.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  8. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Fuck LA Boxing!

If you do join make sure that you DO NOT agree to be put on automatic billing/contract extension. All of their billing is done by a third party of fucking idiots and they have shit built into their contracts so even when you want to stop going you get charged for at least another month.

I never trained there, but a know someone who does. He was preparing for a tournament and he ended up coming and training with us as opposed to doing it at LA Boxing which has more room and better equipment.

9. JordanClarkson

No, that's another gym that he goes to. He trains at like 15 gyms :eek4:

10. JordanClarkson

It's definitely a mcdojo, but some are more hardcore than others. It's a great and cheap franchise. If I were to open one up I'd get some competent trainers.

11. fevs

fevs New Member

Thanks for the input guys. Im going to stop by on Monday to see if its worth it. I went to the website and the BJJ instructor seems legit, as anyone heard of him?

Rob Gutierrez :: Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    He was the assistant instructor for Team Ground Control in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The assistant instructor for Relson Gracie in the Bronx

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  12. Diabolist

Diabolist New Member

who was that?

13. dengar

Cory

14. Diabolist

Diabolist New Member

he is a perfect example.. i think he even works there.. but it just illustrates at THAT LA boxing its way too watered down for anyone with serious intentions... im not doubting there are good ones out there.. i just think you might find better training at a less "cardiobox" enviorment.. unless of course you are looking for cardioboxing..

15. dengar

yes he does work there. i meant to say that instead of typing "train"

It really is going to depend on who is teaching the one in question looks like they have a legit instructor. I believe the one near me has some guys with solid boxing backrounds, but i dont know about the mma instructors.

Anyway I am super jaded on them and would never consider going there.