Anyone ever tear there meniscus?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jaymode, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaymode

jaymode New Member

I went to the doctor yesterday and he told my I have a torn meniscus in my knee and that I need surgery on it ASAP. So I am planning to have it soon. I was just wondering if anyone else had torn there meniscus and had arthroscopy(sp?) to correct it and how it went? How long did it take you to recover and get back to full strength/lifting?

2. iwishiwascool

iwishiwascool Lurker

I used to be an aggressive inliner. I made a lil radial (spiral) tear in my lateral miniscus. I intended to get surgery but never got around to it. I even skated again 2 months after it happened. Any kind of pivioting motion would cripple me for a day. Now, I have zero problems. I can run, jump, pivot, and squat as if nothing happened.

It took a long time to get to this point though.

3. jaymode

jaymode New Member

Did you have the surgery or not?

If you did not what if anything di you do?

4. iwishiwascool

iwishiwascool Lurker

I had no surgery. I pretty much just kept re-injuring, id let it rest for a few weeks, injure it again, etc. Eventually I couldnt skate anymore and my other physical activities didnt affect it so it gradually got better. I havent felt pain in it in a year or so.

There are 3 or 4 miniscusi in each knee, which did you damage?

5. jaymode

jaymode New Member

I am not sure exaclty which one was damaged but as I recall he said the lateral meniscus.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  6. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

I had surgery on a medial meniscus tear and FWIW I feel better under normal use but especially for the first 6-10 months i could feel where the surgery was done and the knee joint felt very uncushioned for lack of a better description. I was running up and down stairs within 2 weeks

7. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Have it done. I tore it and never got the surgery; now whenever I squat or do any high-impact cardio I have horrible knee pain the next morning.

8. jaymode

jaymode New Member

Yea I am going to have the surgery. I was just wondering what others experienced. According to my doctor, if I dont have this surgery soon that I could damage my knee especially since I am young.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.