GUN Anyone ever shot a Dan Wesson CBOB .45?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Aug 7, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Thinking about getting one for my first .45ACP pistol.

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Not in .45, but in 10mm. What do you want to know? Awesome gun, awesome fit and finish and thoroughly impressed. Best CCW 1911 for the money IMO.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Ever compared it to anything else like an M&P45 or any other 1911's? At that price point I want to look into an HK45 also. I'd like a 10mm but .45 is much more common (not being a reloader and all). Itll be used mostly as a range gun and also as a .45 caliber pistol in my arsenal.

My essentials as posted in the other thread.

.22lr - cz 452 lux
    9mm - glock 19 and cz 75b sa
    .45acp -

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  4. AB13

AB13 New Member

I only had a brief encounter with a M&P .45, it shoots soft, but it was modified for competition (tuned springs, trigger and custom handloads.)

I'm a 1911 enthusiest, own several, shoot several in competition. After shooting it, I like the CBOB, and I don't think it'll be any different in the .45 platform, I just wanted to note that the one I shot was in 10mm. It was very accurate, and packed very well in a pancake.

I would chose one over an M&P, but that's just me.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've shot the .45 and agree with AB's statement.

I really think highly of the DW 1911's, and consider them probably the biggest bargain in the 1911 bracket. My only bitch, was that the two I've seen/handled/shot, have both had sharper edges than what I'd want on a carry gun. That's about a non-issue though, and a de-horn job would fix it up on the cheap (you could even do it yourself on the stainless models).

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Can you elaborate on the sharp edges and dehorning? Is that like a mild melt job? I handled a Pointman 7 and it felt sharp. I keep wanting a 10mm but .45 is more practical. :wtc:

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

I dehorn them myself with a file and diamond plate 2000grit (used for knives) . But the only thing I polished/dehorned was the under side of the thumb safety and the adjustable sights and the slide very slightly.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

If I had to do over, and I was not able to buy a Dan Wesson .45 in that price range I would highly recommend either a custom Fusion or STI Trojan in .45.

I shot a Fusion this weekend and was very impressed.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

They have a custom commander Elite that would give the DW a run for the money.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

Excellent fit and finish, and a lot of gun for the money. Bob knows his 1911's, if you like the DW, you'll like his Fusion. :wink:

10. johnson

johnson New Member

Fusion's start off at $1300. I might be looking for a used Les Baer TRS in that price range.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

Bob Serva owned Dan Wesson and sold them to CZ and worked for them as the Director of Engineering. So, it was his own game to beat. :) CZ has up the anty in regards to tolerances, but it was on Bob's Work.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

They pretty much covered the dehorn thing above. It's literally just sanding/filing/grinding down the edges to make them smoother. No thang. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. It's not like the DW comes with razors strapped to the sides, I just personally like a smoother gun for carry purposes. You may/may not notice it.

I've been hearing their name brought up recently and their stuff looks pretty good. Seem to be competitive with high end Kimbers/SA's pricewise, and you get to spec out more parts.

I still want to try my hand at building a 1911 myself...... I think I can do it, albeit a few drinks might be in order before I go placing an order and cutting on parts myself....

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

The Custom Commander elite is $1100, which would be around the price of the CBOB at $1k. I don't mean to budget creep on you, just offering you other options is all. :)

Let us know what you decide.

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I was seeing used CBOB's go for ~800ish, and they looked pretty clean.

Wonder if there are still any of those around? (being as the used gun market has taken a huge dive as of late)

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Between these thread and the glock threads its a matter of time until I wind up with a 10mm wesson and a glock 17. :big grin:

AB, tell me how much they suck in 10mm, they blow up right? :big grin:

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

Take your time, do it rite and use quality parts. My friend is doing it and has taken some classes at the local community college to learn how to mill, etc. Being half way through it, he says " if I had to make and sell pistols I would sell them for $5k, it's a lot of work! "

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

If you can find a CBOB for $800 jump fast, but be cautious and check for backyard smith work. There was a time when finding a CBOB in .45 was a chore and they were back logged.

18. johnson

johnson New Member

19. johnson

johnson New Member

There's a guy selling a used TRS for $1250. That's over the budget though. Was yours bought new? $1700?

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

If you live in FL - $825
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=562171

$950, but with several extra magazines and a iShot bag
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=372881&highlight=CBOB

Sold, but $775
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=370817&highlight=CBOB

Damn, $725 - but sold (That Clarkson guy usually sells shit at scalper prices too. Actually, he sucks in general)
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=267324&highlight=CBOB

Need me to pick this one up for you? $800
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889257&highlight=CBOB

Undoubtably sold, but only 30min from my house $780
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843749&highlight=CBOB

Meh, I was bored and was curious to see what was out there. I remembered seeing them kinda cheap, and trying to trade a guy for one at one time. $800 sounds like a steal for what you get, to me.

Lol, I've about talked myself into buying one..... I wish I was as good at shooting as I was at spending money, I'd be a fucking world champ by now.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

Fusion is a little advanced for a new 1911 owner. If you know EXACTLY what you want, full custom is the only way to go. They are really more of a custom 1911 parts manufacturer, with their primary target, folks that want to build one from the ground up. They make complete firearms as well.

They are like SVI, you really leverage their strength in building one from the ground up, but if your not sure what you want, they have a staple "factory" custom build gun as well.

warning:
    (elitism)
    But when you start talking SVI, Fusion, etc. %90 of so called 1911 fans wouldn't know what you are talking about. If you want a gun that everyone can appreciate, get a name brand gun. But if you truly want a performer, and want to afficiandos and shooters, get a true custom build from a truly respect manufacturer.

(/elitestism) :)

22. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

wow that Fusion looks really good...

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

go get em' brotha. :bigthumb:

24. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Good luck, I for one hope you get it just so you can buy more stuff to take pretty pics of.:naughty:

25. AB13

AB13 New Member

Sounds harsh man. I hear you, I haven't been shooting nearly as much either between my new job, building a new team and of course my daughter. But that's called priorities.

We will always be here, bickering, lulz