A&P anyone ever read a story about ..... ((wedding photography))

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ace3, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

so a couple hires a photographer for their wedding/reception. it's just him, no second shooter.

something happens with maybe the photog's camera, or lens, or something. something he doesn't really notice. maybe his lens backfocuses just a bit, or there an odd piece of goo on the sensor or something.

anyway, the dude gets back to his studio the next day, loads the whole batch up, and sees that 90% of his pics are crap. some are salvagable, but for the most part, he's fucked.

anyone ever heard of something like this happening? what on earth would the photog do? I'd be worried about getting death threats from the bride.

i suppose if they were willing to work with him, they could get re-dressed up and take some 'bride and groom' shots somewhere? :dunno:

that's some scary shit.

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

always have a back up camera... and also be smart enough to look at your images closely while shooting.

This day and age i dont see alot of this happening, but fback in teh film era i could see alot of it.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I was at a photo shop today looking at cameras and was impressed the staff there are working photographers. I was talking to the sales guy and the subject came up. He knows of a photographer where he screwed up and a lot of the photos didn't come out. The bride threatened to sue him. The sales guy said the photographer had to pay for a limo, the tux rentals, and make arrangements to re-stage the wedding with all the people. Didn't sound like a cheap fix and worse is his name is dragged through the mud.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

it happens, a good contract will cover things like that. you can offer to stage some shots afterwards or fix them as best you can.

I had a few shots ruined somewhat by a water drop on the lens I didn't notice last March. Just edited them the best I can and all was good.

chimping can help reduce the longevity of an error, and we usually download quite frequently until the reception for a onsite slideshow, so we take peeks here and there

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

When I was in my first year of photo school my sister got married. Being the badass photographer I thought I was, I offered to take their wedding pictures. I borrowed a 35mm from the school and a strobe and was all set for her big day.

During the wedding I used the strobe for the vast majority of the shots. I was happily clicking away, secure in the knowledge that I was getting some good shots. When I got the film developed, every single shot that was taken with the strobe had half the picture missing. The frame was half picture and the other half black!!! What I had failed to do was to use the proper shutter speed sync for the flash. This resulted in the shutter being only half open when the flash went off.

Lucky for her, she had also hired a professional photographer to shoot the wedding. :x:

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i would NEVER do wedding photography :o

7. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Wow, I never thought about that. Fuck wedding photography :noes:

8. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i talked to a local photographer yesterday, and she said that she has weddings every saturday. i can call her any morning & come second shoot for her - make a few hundred bucks, weed out crap shots, and give her the rest. i'm cool with that.

having the whole wedding resting on me? yikes.

9. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

:rofl:

lucky for her & lucky for you!

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You can say the same for news photography too. When news is breaking you only have one chance to get it right.

11. aCab

aCab New Member

But it's not as important as wedding pictures. I work for a paper too. They can always find other people that have pictures from the event. At the most, you'd lose ur job.

But with wedding photography, people's memories are on the line.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

and this is why you don't shop on craigslist for a wedding photographer and any idiot with a digital rebel shouldn't be looking for work in the field.

13. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

:rofl:

At my cousin's wedding where they had already hired a team of 4 photographers and a videographer, I got up and started shooting with my EOS IX just because I was tired of sitting down and waiting for an hour. It wasn't just me. There were at least 3 other guys shooting with their p&s cameras. I shot the rest of the night, took about 36 shots with onboard flash and got maybe two keepers. That was about 10 years ago and they have never seen the shots :mamoru:

14. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

when I move back to the states I hope to do something like that on the side, for at least 6 months to a year before I even think of going out on my own :o

15. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I'm actually starting up a small side business for photography, art prints and business product photography and weddings is one of those events I will not do.

16. mojito

mojito New Member

17. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

agreed. i'm really looking forward to doing it. i think it'd be a lot of fun.

and probably 10x more fun if i were single. :big grin:

18. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I'm married :hs:

actually my wife is into photography too so we were planning on doing weddings together once we get some experience under our belts :hs:

19. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

leaving for an hour :rofl: :uh:

if it were my wedding and i realized the douche missed some important (to me) shots, i'd be pissed.

that brings up another question. the dude in question has "been shooting weddings for 35 years". at what age do you (or other people) realize you're simply "too old" to "follow the trends" in wedding photography?

the last wedding i was in, the photographers were young (hip?), and had some really interesting ideas. i wondered if the old "really well known" photography guys in town would have done the same thing, or would they have wanted to get the shoot over & done with so they could get home to their electric blanket.

:dunno:

i need to stop drinking this evening. :o

20. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

:goyou: , seriously. i think that would be a blast.

21. mojito

mojito New Member

some like the traditional ways :hs:

but hat younger guys can do with technology and pushing boundaries is really changing the industry. when I can do onsite slideshows and have a online one up the next day people simply are speechless. never seen anything like it

22. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i wouldn't doubt it. i've been to a -lot- of weddings since i've bought my camera, and not one person has had a slideshow up at the reception. i think that, right there, would make people crazy.

You should make the diy LCD frame i posted, and make an interface to plug a usb key into the back (use the same one every time to not confuse the laptop). that'd make things easy & make it look really classy.

23. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I can't wait :hs:

24. themolsen

themolsen New Member

this is so true. there's ZERO chance of staging most events after the fact. luckily, most news shots are cropped and not printed very large so the pic doesn't necessarily have to be of superb quality (as opposed to a wedding shot that might be printed as 11x14 and seen forever). as long as you can capture the moment decently, you're usually all good