SRS Anyone ever moved from another state to be with BF/GF?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bongodongo, Jul 27, 2005.

1. bongodongo

bongodongo New Member

I moved from Vermont to Michigan about a year ago to be with my girlfriend. Everything with the relationship is fine however, I am not a big fan of being in Michigan. Her family is here and she lives near where she graduated HS so she has really close friends here. My family and friends are in VT.

Anyone else have a similar situation? How did you deal?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Ask her if she would be happy in Vermont, if so drag her to Vermont. Its nothing strange, at my place we drag all kinds of people out of the city back into our town to get married and its actually a culture here to do such a thing. I would at least suggest it in a serious way to her that you want to move back with her to Vermont. Ask the lady how she feels about it , and move on from there.

3. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

maybe somewhere in the middle?

4. bongodongo

bongodongo New Member

I was going to include in my posts the obvious answers, which is move her back to VT. And you are right, I should ask her. However, then she will be in the same position I am now, without friends and family. So what is the answer? I do not know.

I really don't think the problem for me is missing family and friends so much as it is being in Detroit. If we were somewhere else I don't think it would be as much of a problem.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well that's why you have to ask her, i cannot possibly answer for her if she feels comfortable in Vermont or not, she's probably going to miss her family , which is very normal, and if you have to choose from one of the lesser evils i would just stay with her in Michigan, i wouldn't throw her away just so you can live in Vermont, in the end however that is something both of you should figure out.

6. AstroGirl

AstroGirl If I don't respond it's because I have severe ADD

Yes, I moved to Hawaii to be with my ex (from CA.) Granted there could have been worse places to go. But I hated it, it was tiny. And growing up surrounded by family and friends to go to knowing only one person and having to adapt my life from there was aweful. It didn't end up working out, but I still would not have traded the experience for anything ;) I did a lot of growing up over there.

7. Curegrrl

Curegrrl New Member

i did.....in may i moved in with my boyfriend of 4 years...but....he broke up with me :wtc: now i'm here alone....i like my job so i'm staying in the area...but he is all i had here....and i'm so lost...

8. The New Kid

The New Kid New Member

not a bad idea but that might be worse in a way- neither of you near family where you wanted, both sad

good side- new people new frinds new state, fair distances from family

9. AstroGirl

Yeah me and my ex husband split too, but then I went back to CA.

10. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Realise that there was a recent thread on this about a girl who moved to be with her boyfriend. They broke off and she was left alone in a different state. It turned out that she liked the state, but it could turn out to be a disaster for you.

11. Porquechop

Porquechop New Member

I moved 1500 miles to stay with a guy, but neither of us were from the place that we moved to, so it was more "fair", I guess. He moved there for a job and I went with him. He had his coworkers and I eventually had mine, plus some regular friends.

When it didn't work out, I felt lost. Like, now what do I do? But I did have a life there so I stayed and made ever more of a life.

I feel like chances are we are not going to live near our hometowns our whole lives, might as well get out and make a new life wherever we are and make sure to visit home often enough. Sometimes I sit here and look at all my old haunts on Google Earth, since I can't just go there.

12. ffunderfire

ffunderfire New Member

Compromise. Move somewhere in the middle. Neitherone of yu would have friends. It would be a fresh start in a new place. :bigthumb:

13. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

How funny. I moved from Hawaii to SF cali as well, but it was not solely for my gf. If it was another state where I wouldn't have much to do, I probably wouldn't have.

14. AstroGirl

Yeah, HI sucked though. Wages are so low, and it so SOOOO EXPENSIVE! Where did you live?

15. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

:eek3:

Shit, too bad I agree with you. If you don't take advantage of the natural surroundings and free activities around you...it's a rough place to live.

16. AstroGirl

Yeah. But spending time at the beach (really the only free place to go (aside from Haunama Bay)) get old after a while. And you can only drive around that island, and fuck with the tourist so much before you want to RIP YOU HAIR OUT! I am so glad to be back on the "main land."

17. Toasty

Hahah. It's not for everyone. :wiggle:

No doubt the State has more and more problems now...making it less of an attractive place to stay. Bugs the shit outta me a small apartment is approaching half a mil to own these days....

BUT every now and again I'd be doing something fantastic like riding out on my friend's boat out Kaneohe bay to lounge around, catch some fish, watch the whales breach from a distance, and then sit on the sandbar in the middle of the bay watching the occasional sea turtle dart by.... then it reminds me why I'm here.

Sorry for the de-rail..........

18. AstroGirl

Yeah, I loved K-Bay. That was where I used to live. Well Kaneohe, and Kailua. I used to go to Kailua beach all the time, it was GORGEOUS!!

19. Toasty

Yes, Lanikai beach off of Kailua is about how Ala Moana beach was back in the 70's and 80's. Peaceful, clean....

Kailua's turning into a nice area for cool eateries....

20. AstroGirl

Really? Ghad you would have never even imagined! Ala Moana? Are you serious? That beach is so packed with tourist now! Ugh. I used to love to drive tha Pali in my friends convertible too, I miss it. I haven't been back for about 2 years now.

21. Toasty

Serious. When I was growing up...Ala Moana was pristine. Quiet...it was not uncommon to spend the day there from morning till evening and BBQ past the sunset.

Now we got a homeless problem down there... enough so I wouldn't go there after dark. And the sound of traffic congestion has ruined it too.

Reminds me of that old commercial where the American Indian stares at the polluted highways with a tear down his eyes. I have fond memories of that area and it's really sad it's changed so much....

22. AstroGirl

Awww, :hug:, it just smells down there. You walk the strip and it feels gross. I remember going there for New years though, right after 9/11 and it was a GHOST TOWN, remember that? That was crazy. Kinda nice though, not to step on people all the time ;) Are you Simoan/ Hawaiian?

23. Toasty

Part Chinese, part Yellow Puppet.

Post 9/11 traffic was a trip..... empty.

24. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

Makiki. Townie :)

Back on topic tho, I moved away and left all my close friends and family to be with my SO. Needless to say we're not really together anymore. I think if you move, make sure the move is not SOLELY for your SO.. make sure that you understand that if things don't work out, you can continue on at the place you are.

For me, there was much more opportunity to make money as well here in California vs Hawaii, so I can't say I have much regret even though things didn't work out between me and the SO.

25. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

If you're not married, dont do it! It isnt even worth it, especially if you guys end up separating.