SRS Anyone ever just say "fuck it" and start driving?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DeepRun™, Aug 6, 2008.

1. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Like you have work the next day, or you're at work and bang out early, and just decided to take a little 3-4 day (long weekend) trip by yourself somewhere you've been itching to go?

I'm totally like that right now. I'm not quite depressed, but I'm not quite having a breakdown either. I haven't taken a vacation (longer than a 3 day weekend from holidays) in 6 years. So it's constantly working, using vacation times up because I had no sick days (cheap-ass workplace), having too much work and just taking a check in the amount of unused time at the end of the year, or not having the money.

I was gassing up the car today and was staring at the dash telling me I had 400mi to the tank. And I just sat there for a minute thinking "I could just drive 5 hours North, find a cheap motel off the highway and relax in the middle of nowhere." I'd have no plans, no real intentions aside from take some photos of this little slice of irresponsibility. I'd just be away from everything in the peace & quiet for a little while. The one place I'd really be set on getting to is the Lost River in NH which is about 3hrs away.

This whole thing takes me back to when I was a teenager and we'd all pile into whomever had the biggest car (friends 89 Grand Marquis) and just drive to nowhere till 3am.

I think I want to just relive that. Or just clear my head because I'm at a crossroads with myself right now of either staying in the graphic design field (which I don't mind, if I found a place that paid great) that I feel I'm falling out of love with. Or hitting the brakes and turn down the road where I get back into computer animation which I went to college for but never picked up because of shitty teachers. Because that's what's passionately burning inside me right now.

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

There was a night a year or so ago when things were really hard in my life, I was so frustrated and stressed I honestly wasn't sure what I could do to relieve the stress, I just wanted to get away. Anyway, one Thursday night (I had to work and go to school the next day) my friends sympathized with me and we got in the car and drove 4 hours down to Miami. We walked on the beach at night and then drove back. Even that journey (though I was exhausted the next day) made my whole next week because it was just fun, different and out of the norm.

3. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Yea. I think that's what I need. Something not the status quo.

It's seriously clouding my thinking & creative process. I typically have ideas almost immediately, and they're good (customer approval wise). But lately I can go days at work getting very little done, and just staring at the sky.

4. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

In fact. Earlier in the year I developed a stutter out of nowhere (I'm 30). Normally I have a very quick, sharp wit with a wise-ass comment about anything. But for some reason I couldn't form clear thoughts and when I tried to tell a story I'd start stuttering all over the place.

Once I read up what the potential causes for such a late development would be I changed that and it's gone. Turns out it was stress.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

:hs: Sorry to hear that. Can I ask whereabouts you live?

6. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Mass.

That was months ago, I'm so glad I just brushed shit off that I was stressing about because stuttering when you know you speak normally is beyond frustrating.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

Oh I understand. I'm also very quick-witted and am known for speaking fast. If suddenly I found myself stammering I'd be :ugh:

Anywho, I just asked of your location because I was trying to think of nearby places you could drive, but unfortunately the NE is one area I'm not knowledgable on :hs:

You could drive to NYC in 4 hours :dunno:

8. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Thought about taking a train. That would be wiser.

NH & Maine have plenty of sites tucked away if you like a small hike in some woods. Niagara Falls is ~8hrs. Canadian boarder about 6hrs.

9. iwishyouwerebeer

All good ideas :bigthumb:

10. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

definitly seen lots of cool places hopefully more to come

11. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Favorite car I ever had was my Prelude. Sometimes I would pick a direction once I got off work for the weekend and go that way. Used to do that with my wife, too. We'd get off work on a Friday and I'd pick her up and we'd drive up the coast.

Blows off a lot of steam if you like to drive and you like the company (if you choose to take company).

12. Musouka

Musouka New Member

I've always wanted to do something like this. Sadly, my parents probably wouldn't like it (18). When I'm out of college (or maybe in college) I'd like to try it though. I love to drive too. Just see what's out there.

13. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I used to, but now with gas at $4 and driving a 14mpg van, forget about it.

14. CookieMonster

CookieMonster OT Supporter

Sometimes I think you really do need to get away after a certain period of time.
    Wish I could do something like that but got a gf. She,my dad and my mom pressure me so much that I do wanna just one day drive off to florida or texas some where I can relax for a day or two.

15. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I've done that in college. We'd get in the car and just drive. There was always some place to go. Either up north to SF or down to L.A. to my parents house. One time we decided to just head towards the grand canyon to go camping. We bought a tent, camera, etc. on the way. It was crazy and I was hiking around in sandals.

16. Musouka

Musouka New Member

That sounds awesome. :bowdown: I hope I get to experience something like that in my lifetime. Just randomly setting off somewhere and see what happens.

17. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I love my car. Just being in it centers me.

18. iwishyouwerebeer

Statements like that make me sad. I drive for work so I am by all means feeling the crunch....but why limit yourself from one night or even a weekend of great fun because gas is expensive?

19. Musouka

Musouka New Member

It's not like it's THAT much more expensive than it used to be. The few extra bucks you'd have to pay for a great experience are worth it.

20. Mr. Kitty Litter

Mr. Kitty Litter OT Supporter

Yeah, I love to drive. After work everyday, I usually just ride around for about an hour before going home, for no reason, just cruising around. I'll also do this when I am sitting at home bored.

I think I do this after work because that is actually the most sane part of my day. From the time I get up (phone is ringing off the hook in the mornings), to the time I go to sleep, I put up with so much shit during the day. I gotta deal with people who aren't happy for whatever reason...then try to fix the situation for them, I gotta listen to people bitch because this is not right...or that is not right, critisim, chastizing, impressions I have to make. Then, on top of that, I have to stand my own ground and make sure "I" don't get ran over.

I'm on my feet all day....It's tiring. Girl be trippin', sometimes, friends act funny at times. Bills. Pursuing a degree.:hs:

When I'm off the clock, and in my car, alone, it is the only time I get to "do me". I get to go where I want and do what I want, listen to what I want...when I want. I don't have to hear this person bitch, or that person talk in an annoying voice, etc. It's my mobile paradise. :mamoru:

During the week, I won't stray too far - I'll mainly stay in cities I'm familiar with, and that are not far from where I live. Now, on Friday's or during the weekend or days off, I'll "get lost" on purpose. I'll travel down roads I've never been down before - I have navigation in the car, so if I ever get too far lost, home is just a button press away.

Sometimes my friends or my GF will roll with me, but often times, I'll just go it alone. Friends and the GF always want to touch my radio and shit, and I like to zone out when I ride, so I'd rather not have the distraction.

Lately, I've been just hopping on the expressway and just driving - like I did last weekend. I live in Merrillville, IN....I ended up in Lake Geneva, WI (nice place, too, might I add). Seemed like such a long relaxing ride while on the way there, but on the way back, it seems like I got back much quicker :dunno:. Maybe the GPS routed me back on a quicker route...I did do a lot of city street driving upon entering WI.

Stopped at a BP, filled back up, and drove some more. I wanna do it again this weekend. I think I'll head South this time, though :p

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  21. teep

teep New Member

one time i just randomly packed up a bag and took a train to new york city. spent the entire summer there. benefits of being in college and having the summer off. fortunately for me i had a friend with a 3 bedroom apartment and only 1 roommate.

also once i took all the money i had and bought a plane ticket to thailand. left two weeks later. spent a month there on the most beautiful beaches.

22. iwishyouwerebeer

TS, did you do it or no?

23. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Tomorrow I'm leaving work to hang out w/a friend and banging out Friday, which is 1/2 days for us anyway.

24. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

it really is crazy one time i was on my way back from Ohio and i was just thinking "man the world outside of Illinois" i hope to see so much more :x:

25. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

have fun thinking about going somewhere but still n/s we will have to wait and see