Anyone ever have thermal paste problems before?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ww_Crimson, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Computer crashed 2-3 times in a row.. checked temp in BIOS and it said 81*C .. checked the thermal paste and it looked kind of uneven so I applied just a speck more and spread it out better and im down to 32-35*C at idle.

Anyway.. stable for 15 minutes now so lets hope it stays this way.

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It's not toothpaste.

You should apply the smallest drop possible then scrape it smooth with a straight razor until there is almost none left.

The point of thermal paste is to fill in tiny or even microscopic grooves or pits in the mating surfaces, providing greater surface area contact and thus greater thermal transfer.

If you use too much it actually becomes an insulator.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It happens. I put a thin coating across the entire CPU die, then I let the heatsink squish the excess out of the way. As long as the coating is only just thick enough to obscure the metal on top of the CPU, it's not too much.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

There's a greater chance that your heatsink was mounted incorrectly the first time and when you took it off to add more paste, got it clipped down properly.

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Maybe, if he never stood the computer upright, as soon as you do that it should be obvious that it is not mounted right.

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Should be but not necessarily. My gf's had that problem and was sitting upright. I opened it and and saw that she didn't get one of the pins fully locked.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah, some boards you just never know when the damn thing is clamped down, others it's really obvious. I still maintain that they need to re-engineer that clamping system.

8. mikecentola

mikecentola New Member

yeah definitely sounds like a clamping issue more than a thermal paste issue. The most temperature delta i've seen with redoing thermal paste was 10-12c.

9. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

+1

what a fucking pos :rolleyes:

10. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 480X800 LGE VX11000)

OK... Thermal paste should not be as hard to use as finding your girls hole for the first time. I still refuse to use anything other than Artic Silver thermal paste. The delta there is approx 10c compared to typical run-of-the-mill brands. Second, never use a lot of thermal paste- yes it is an insulator in too high of quantities. Lastly take a look at Artic Silver's web site. they have listed the amounts and spread directions for all CPU's. Typically it's about the size of a grain of rice.

11. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

One thing I've never understood about thermal paste...

There are 2 methods of applying it:
    1. Put small dot in the center, put on the HSF and it'll spread on its own.
    2. Put some on and spread it real thin. Put on HSF.

Now, if method 1 actually works as well as method 2, how can you put on too much? If placing some in the center and then putting on the HSF will spread it sufficiently, then if you had excess wouldn't it all squeeze out the side?

Also, you put enough on the fill the gap between the CPU case and the HSF itself (or at least that's my understanding of the purpose for using paste in the first place) . The HSF will not be prevented from getting as close to the CPU as possible because of any excess paste, it'll just squeeze out the sides. So how would excess paste be possible at all?

I've always spread it myself as method 1 never made much sense to me assuming it's possible to have too much paste.

12. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Well, also, some heatsinks clamp a LOT tighter than others, particularly the heavy ones. I had a Zalaman heatsink that was weighed like a lb, and I swear, when I clamped it on, I was worried I was going to crack the CPU. I would imagine that for those kind of heatsinks, you would be able to spread the thermal paste out, no matter what.

13. deusexaethera

I like heatsinks that clamp onto the CPU carrier like it's the end of the world if it lets go, because as far as the CPU is concerned, it is the end of the world if the heatsink lets go. Besides, it's not like you're changing the CPU every week anyway.

14. thekraft

thekraft New Member

But God, it's frustrating when you do have to. I keep thinking I'm going to pull out the enter CPU socket.

Actually, one time I was pulling out a heatsink and the CPU came out without me unlatching it. I was positive I lost a pin or something, but it worked fine. Turns out my friend slathered a shitton of thermal paste and it ended up gluing the CPU to the heatsink.

15. deusexaethera

Yeah, I've had that happen a bunch of times before. It's not that the CPU gets glued to the heatsink, so much as the interface between the two is so tight that it acts like a wet suction cup against glass, hence why the CPU can slide around on the heatsink but refuses to let go. Anyway, I've never lost a pin from doing that, just make sure you unlatch both sides of the heatsink clamp before pulling it off so the CPU pins won't get bent.

16. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Yeah, you described it exactly. I'm guessing that's WAY too much thermal paste. Still, I would have thought there would be SOME damage from yanking the CPU out like that.

17. deusexaethera

I dunno if you've ever worked with glass microscope slides before, but if you put a drop of water on one of them and set another on top for a few seconds until it settles down, they become impossible to pull apart -- you have to slide them off each other. It's the same principle; if air can't get in between the two surfaces, they're going to stick together like they're glued together, even if they're not. So that actually means your heatsink has a really good thermal interface with the top of the CPU, because there's no air bubbles trapped inside the goop.

18. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Huh, that's true. Still, I think that suction can happen with just enough thermal paste and way too much.

19. jdw

jdw New Member

That has me worried. I should upgrade my fan to a big aftermarket unit to keep it a little cooler but I have a hard enough time seating the OEM Intel heatsink.

So, a tangent. For guys with multi-core systems - what do you see for differences between core temps? I have a Q6600 and it seems like I'm always running about 10*(C) different between the hot and cold side.
    Right now I'm sitting at 56, 54, 48, and 46.

Numbers from coretemp

20. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

My Q9450 does that too.

Every Intel CPU since the P4 has been able to throttle down if temperature got too high. PIIIs just shut off if they got too hot. AMD took a bit longer to get the idea, but its not the end of the world for any modern CPU if the heatsink were to fall off. Besides, tighter clamping force doesn't mean the connection is more reliable.

21. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

You can get aftermarket heatsinks with a backplate and screwa. I've never used one, anyone ever used one of those?

22. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Most all of the larger ones do. The mounts vary in quality. The well rated coolers, like the Thermalright models are usually secure.

23. 5Gen_Prelude

:bowdown: Thank you for increasing the cost of computers :bowdown:

24. 5Gen_Prelude

PRO TIP: The cost of insurance is spead out among the policy holders.

25. 5Gen_Prelude

PRO TIP: I got nothing, your username says it all.

Last edited: May 9, 2010