Anyone ever have their motorcycle stolen?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by thecontinental, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Is an alarm a good investment?

Thanks

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Theft insurance with a low deductable is a good investment. If someone wants your bike, no locks or alarms are going to stop them.

3. that sucks! what about lojack? does anyone have an alarm they can suggest? something to give me peace of mind when my back is turned. i don't want anyone to steal my bike!

4. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Where do you park it?

5. i live in apartments... right now it's in my living room =(

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

There's no good place on a bike to hide lojack. Keeping the bike under a cover, with a good strong lock is the best method (if possible, get something like those NY Super chains and chain the bike to a post in the ground). That's about all you can do. I had my SV stolen from my apt garage when the door was closed. Luckily, it was only stolen for a joyride, and the cops found it a week later parked on the side of the road with about $1k in damages (had no theft insurance, so all repairs were out of pocket). A friend of mine had his 02 R1 stolen even though the front wheel was chained to a pole. The thieves actually removed the front wheel, and took the rest of the bike.

Just make sure you have good insurance, and don't get too attached to your bike. They get stolen all the time. Sportbikes are about as easy to steal as a $8k boombox. :hs:

7. damn... sorry about your bike getting stolen. i guess the insurance will have to do. thanks for the advice :)

8. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

alot of motorcycles get picked up and put into trucks. If your apartment is near an expressway I would keep it inside as often as possiable. A friend has had more than one harley stolen. If they can drag that heavy bitch away a four hundred pound crotch rocket would be a light nights work.

9. Hobie1

Hobie1 No longer self-employed & now hating life

only a jack ass loads a bike...bike thieves ride off on your shit. It takes a matter of seconds to crack the steering and plug in an ignition.

You want to keep your bike from being stolen #1 - don't leave it outside EVER, ANYWHERE un attended. Don't make any kind of habit of it being outside. If you go to a bar or club, chances are your shit will be gone before 2am. Never let it leave your sight.

#2 get a disc lock and keep it on the rear disc, this is the hardest one to remove. On the front the tief can either undo the 6 bolts that hold your disc to the wheel or undo the caliper and zip tie it out of the way. Also it's easier to change a front wheel than a rear one. On the rear the thief will either have to cut the lock off, bring his own rear wheel, or back the axle out, remove the disc, and re-install the axle. Putting a lock on the rear slows the thief down a lot more than putting a lock on the front.

#3 take the time to make your bike theft resistant (notice I didn't say proof) if you don't do it, your bike WILL get stolen. Most bikes are stolen (modern bikes that is) with a home built ignition. Theives simply unplug yours from the wiring harness and plug theirs in. Take your tank, airbox, etc. off and find the wiring for your ignition. Wrap it in duct tape so the wires cannot be easily identified and make damn sure to wrap the plug well. When you go back together with the bike route the wiring in a different location. Also, put a kill switch on the fuel pump and hide it a bit. Every little thing helps.

#4 if you are going to leave the bike outside get a NYC chain or a fugghetaboutit (spelled like mafia talk, ya know?) chain. They are expensive and heavy, but worth it. No bolt cutters are going to take these down and don't skimp on the lock, get a bad mother fucker there too. Keep the bike covered. I know a guy that rigged an alarm to his cover where when you pulled the cover off it pulled a pin triggering the alarm. I know he has heard it go off atleast twice to go outside and see the cover laying next to his bike, it's doing the job for now.