anyone ever have a ganglionic cyst?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by seven, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seven

seven New Member

The doc sais i got one, she drained it two weeks ago and the pain went away, but it's back even worse now...i dunno what to do,

i can't work out anymore, my wrist can't even handle a bench press anymore.

anyone ever have this? if so, what did you do. all i can do right now is wait it out.

2. seven

seven New Member

it's about 1 cm in radius, and pops out 1/4cm from the back of my wrist...if i took a pic you'd just see a wrist, were you to feel both my wrist and compare you'd be like....damn...that thing must suck...

3. seven

seven New Member

the doc sais it will just go away when ever, they can have surgury to removie it...

you can get it from any sort of trama to the wrist...it's really hard and feels like a bone sticking out, but it's actually a sac filled with jelly like fluid.

It feel's like a wedge between my joints for my wrist so if i extend/flex to much it feels like it prying my joints apart...

i can keep getting it drained but i don't think it will go away on it's own then, but i'm not sure. i think im just gonna stop working out for a few days to see if it imporves, if not i'm gonna see about surgery.

btw...i think it developed when i started lifting 2 months ago

4. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

i have 2 or so per leg. mine don't hurt so i'm not worried about them. they just look ugly as hell.

5. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

ceaze has got a huge one :coold: i got one too

6. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Got two on my abdomen... I have such a low bodyfat right now that I can see them clear as day from up close or far away. My doc said it came from a combo of grappling/wrestling and pressure put on by lifting.

7. disblohs

weird. i would have thought that was a hernia rather than a ganglionic cyst

8. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I have one just below my left pec/upper abdomen, and another on the other side in the middle of my obliques.
    I would imagine most hernia to be lower abdomen, no?

9. disblohs

i don't really have any experience with hernias so far as things i've heard in passing. i have heard the majority of them to be in the lower abdomen though. the one that is in the middle of the your obliques seems like it would be a susceptible area :dunno:

10. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I agree... the thoughts were I take a lot of body shots when training (pankration/muay thai) where there was trauma.. its maybe pea sized and can be removed, but I dont see myself getting surgeory for it... maybe just keep my bf% above 15 and I will never know its there :)

11. disblohs

lol. i don't plan on getting surgery on mine either. they told me that, even with surgery, there's a 30% chance it'll come back anyway. if mine starts to hurt, i might think about it a little more.

12. SammyGirl

SammyGirl New Member

I was a medical assistant for a hand surgeon and we treated Ganglion Cysts all the time, and in fact I have one on my wrist as well. They are a tear in the tendons that cause the jelly like liquid to form. The Dr always recommended a wrist splint which hinders wrist movements. The more you move it the more it will hurt and swell up. So resting it for a few days and then wearing a wrist splint will help ease the pain.

13. disblohs

i don't know shit about the body, so is it possible in the places that 2000GT is talking about?

14. seven

seven New Member

i've only seen them at the wrist, ankle and finger joints...but the body is weird...

gawd...i've guess i really will have to stop with the wiegths..this sucks,

I'll take your advice sammygirl and get a splint and rest it. but i really wanna just get a knife and cut it open right now...

15. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

i had a hernia really near my nuts a few years ago from football im guessing, they said i could have had it for a long time cuz i didnt even know i had it till they did the cough test in the dr:noes: that def hurt more than normal.

16. lckmylaic0

lckmylaic0 You don't know me, You've just seen my penis OT Supporter

i have a ganglion cyst in my left hand about 3/4's of an inch below my thumb. It hurts like hell when i lift, a lot more when i use barbell.

Doc said it might go away on its own or i could get surgery, have a scar, and it might come back. (He also said there's a chance that it will mess with my hand because its so close to the tendons or something that helps move my fingers?)

I've just been trying to take it easy, but i can't lift light weight forever.
    Has anyone ever had surgery on it before ? or offer any other ideas to help it go away besides a splint

17. seven

seven New Member

well it's been like a year now, and my cyst went away by itself. i suggest you get it drained and wait it out...

18. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i had one on the back of my wrist, sounds like yours. it was pretty big but only really noticeable when my wrist was bent forward. my doctor said back in the day they smashed them with bibles, but that they would usually come back.

I had mine surgically removed and I have a scar there now, I had it removed probably 4-5 years ago and it hasn't come back. The doctor said when he removed it he also soldered the leak where the wrist joint fluid was coming from the wrist so it should keep it from reforming.

19. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

are you laughing about my leaky wrists? :wtc:

and i suppose the correct term would be cauterize :)

21. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i never heard of these things before. could i have one and not know it? :dunno:

22. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

yes i married it like 8 years ago...way to expensive to get rid of and it just keeps getting fatter too...it really...wait what are we talking about

23. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

you'd probably know if you had one.

[​IMG]

that's almost basically where mine was and what it looked like. although it wasn't way obvious until i bent my wrist forward, then it got huge.

oh, and it was my left hand and not my right. everyone always asks what the scar is from, i just tell them a snowboarding accident :dunno:

24. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I have one but it's on the underside of my wrist. I've had it since I was 16 years old. I can't get it removed because it's tangled up with a main artery. It doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort so the doctor said to leave it alone.

25. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

hoping I don't get one now :noes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.