Anyone ever gotten Incoming VPNs working on XP Pro?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I tried this on my mom's notebook from my iBook, and it won't work. I followed the very clear instructions I found on the net at microsoft.com and other places. And I made sure that the firewall stuff is turned off.

So, I tried again today from an XP Pro machine, to an XP Pro machine, remotely and across a LAN... it won't work. It never connects. Same as before. My iBook wouldn't work either.

So now I am going to use OpenVPN, but I didn't have time to get the keys exchanges and the config files edited before I left, so I'll have to do this monday.

Kinda annoys me about MS VPNs not working though... what did I do wrong? It just seems like it doesn't actually function, even though it supposed to. I've set this up using routing and remote access in Windows 2000 AS and it was no problem at all. But this XP stuff just really does not seem to function whatsoever.

This link shows the instructions I followed... it looks pretty easy, but it just won't work. http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/network/0,39044847,39050037-39000223c-1,00.htm

I wanted to test the list feature, too.

1. Test
    2. test
    3. test

2. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Just follow the instructions and it works fine, do you have some oddball router/firewall that might be causing problems?

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It won't even work across the LAN, with all firewalling on both machines turned off.

4. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Why would you vpn across a lan? I am not even sure if that would work (conflicting IP addresses or what not).

IS IPsec/vpn passthrough enabled on the router?

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

PPTP pass-through is configured. And if it will work across the router through NAT, it will work across the LAN. I tested across the LAN after it didn't work through the router to eliminate that variable. The XP Pro box serving the VPNs can't tell the difference between the router sending it a VPN request an another host doing so.

6. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I have had it work but it was very limited.

It was kind of complicated setting it up and I had to do some tweeking from the original white paper.

Basically my connection to the VPN would work but I was locked in to that connection I could not use my local connection if that makes sense. I was trying to setup a Pocket PC exchange server kinda thing...needless to say I failed.