Anyone ever experience computer problems while programming?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

About 5 years ago I created this program in visual studios and ran the program and my pc (then a 600mhz p3 I think) started acting unusual. Black screens, a drive acting up, rebooting, ghostly stuff like that. My computer crashed shortly after, about a week after, and I was able to save the information after scanned for viruses. The data was passed on to computer after computer, and i was searching my archives and found the program. Its' been a while since I programmed anything and I didn't remember too much about this particular program. I ran it, and two days later I notice the same side effects, and I started to have flashbacks. The program itself didn't do anything, the screen flickered and a dos window opened with some numbers fly across, and a file was created on my desktop: a black text document. I still don't remember what I was doing with this, but I do remember I saved it to fix it later. Anyone else experience this?

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I haven't. Java doesn't let me do anything stupid to my computer. :sad2:

Which language were you using? I'm guessing C/C++.

3. Accido

Accido New Member

Yeah, Microsoft Visual c++. If I could still program I might be able to understand what just happened. I guess I'll reformat befoer anything else happens

4. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Are you just running the executable? Do you still have the source?

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

hm no... usually i know what the code is going to do before i run it

6. Accido

Accido New Member

You must be one of those people born with the ability to program, and never have to double check your work :cool:

I can't find the source file. Maybe it was a compiling error? I reformatted anyway just to be sure, and I’ll delete the program.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  7. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

A few times when I accidentilly fucked up my logic and ended up with an infinite loop, thats always fun (not nearly as bad on 2k / xp as back when I was on 95 programming on a school comp :rofl: )

8. Accido

Accido New Member

I remember doing something like that just for fun. :) is that technically a memory leak?

9. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

an infinite loop != memory leak.. unless you were mallocing random chunks of memory in your loop and not freeing them.

in general, a program that causes an infinite loop or a memory leak will not screw up your computer as described, unless under some odd circumstance you rebooted right when windows was writing a system file or something of that sort.