GUN anyone ever build their own 1911

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pineapple Devil, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i dont think i've seen anyone on here do it

2. texchef

texchef Guest

I thought about building one via parts from STI.

I think AB gave some tips once when I asked a similar question. I don't remember all the details but I remember him saying somethinga bout getting all the parts, doing a preliminary build and then sending it to a QUALIFIED smith for final fit and finish.

It certainly is an alternative to dropping mad cash on something you can build over time.

I wish I remembered more of that thread. :o

3. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

If I still worked in a machine shop I would build one off an 80% kit

4. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I've been tossing the idea around for a while. From what I've researched it sounds like you can save a TON of hassle by starting with a Caspian or STI pre-fit slide and frame, and a set of quality internal components. Cylinder and Slide also makes a nice hamme set so you don't have to dick with anything trigger-pull related.

I'm sure I'll do it eventually,I just haven't decided to spend the $$ on it right now.

5. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

It's rarely done because of all the fitting and specialized tools required. Or to put it another way, there are so many 1911 gunsmiths for a reason.

6. reman

reman New Member

too much work, but I would if I had the tools.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I have been trying to really hold back snatching up some of the SCREAMING semi-custom 1911 deals I've been seeing floating around. I just want a 1911 that the slide/frame and barrel/busing/etc have already been fitted (and fitted well), and then I wanna go from there.

There's a certain pistol for sale that I'd be all over if I hadn't just bought a ton of shit lately..... The function is there for the most part, just needs a little tweaking here and there, and I wanted to make it "pretty". Strikes me as an easier way to go about things as opposed to starting from scratch.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

If you plan on building a 1911 on the basis to save money, you will be disappointed.

There are many specialized tools you will need, including a mill. On top of that you will need actual experience and knowledge with both the 1911 design and mill. Just because you can work a mill doesn't mean you can build a 1911.

You will absolutely have to know EXACTLY what you want, what you are trying to accomplish and what parts will actually work for what you are trying to accomplish. If the SVI gun builder program confuses you, you should stop rite there.

There is a very good reason why you do not see anyone here building a 1911 from scratch. it is not for every body.

If you are looking to get a custom/semi, I'd suggest giving the guys at Fusion a call and save yourself a lot of money and heartache. They are very reasonable for what you receive.

9. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

this and this. I looked into it a while back, and it seemed like it would be significantly more expensive (especially if you don't have the tools required) than just buying one.

10. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Here's what I wanted to link to last post but lacked time to track down.

http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/index.html

Enjoy! Took the guy a long time, cost more than he expected, and was far more difficult than he expected...

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I know a couple guys that have done it, they turned out really nice. It looks like a fun project and if you have the tools and a little skill it's not too hard.

12. texchef

texchef Guest

After reading allthatshit.jpg I'll save my pennies and buy the one I want.

13. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Keep in mind that this guy was using very low quality parts as well. I think he even says in there a few places that if he used better quality parts with better finish/tolerance/materials he would have had a lot less trouble.