GUN Anyone ever been to "High Caliber gun show" (Pasadena, tx)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. c.copperpot

c.copperpot A pilot house stove and an engine room brass

Around here you can expect a lot of beef jerky and guns for the same price they would be at your local gun store. If you buy any kind of firearm and carry it around you can expect about 50 different guys asking you how much you want for it.

3. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

wow, my two favorite things under one roof!
    is it cash only? should i bring a checkbook/debit card?

4. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.51 Beta (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/2723; U; en))

ha, thats like 5 minutes from where i grew up

5. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

It that this coming weekend (3/4th)?

6. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

no, next weekend, 10th/11th

but there IS one this weekend- http://www.realgunshow.com/

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  7. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I would go, even if it's just to see what it's about. I would take cash but keep it reasonable, especially if you're like me and prone to buying on impulse ;).

A gunshow is a good place to check out different models of guns and see how they feel when handling them. Unfortunately in recent years the shows have developed into partial flea markets so expect that many tables will not actually be selling guns (think jerky, toys, Navy SEAL hats, potmetal battleaxes, etc.)

In the current market, the election results have really screwed up prices. I would not expect anything at a gun show to be priced reasonably. There's too many people out there willing to overpay for stuff or who are stockpiling things like magazines and ammo in anticipation of a gun ban. It's entirely a seller's market right now.

If you are new to guns, here's a few things to remember at a show:

1. Always ask before picking up and handling a gun off a table. When you do handle the gun, always check first to make sure it is unloaded. If you don't know the best way to do this, ask the dealer to show you. Never take anyone's word that a gun is not loaded.

2. When looking the gun over, always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. It's a bit unnerving to look up from something on a table and realize the guy next to you is aiming a rifle at your face :eek3:.

3. Always ask before manipulating the action on a gun (dropping a slide, dry firing, etc.).

4. If a dealer is short with you or seems bothered by questions, walk away.

5. Remember that a dealer is there to sell the guns on that table and trust him accordingly. Keep your bullshit detector on, particularly during the current buying frenzy. If I see one more guy pushing a .32acp pocket auto with a 1" barrel for a suburban housewife who has never held a gun before I'm going to leap over the table and strangle the sonofabitch. The same goes for the guy who will insist to a customer that a $125 Hi-Point is every bit as good as a Glock. There are some good people selling at gun shows, just remember that there are many bad people mixed in among them.

6. Watch for the couple using a baby stroller as a battering ram to clear the aisles.

7. Generally speaking, the soft pretzels from the concession stand are pretty damned good.

8. kds000

kds000 New Member

it fucking sucks. the pasadena show is about the size of a high school cafeteria seriously.

9. valvefloat

valvefloat OT Supporter

Its the same like the one that just passed in through Houston. They sold out of a lot of stuff at the Houston show, but there should be plenty for Pasadena. There were some good deals you just have search for them.

10. Jurisbot Esq.

The only thing that made it worth my time was after fondling the Glocks I found out I really, really like the feel the G19 (I'm going to need to get me 1 or 2 of them later) :o Too bad the cheapest one there was $525 with tax. There were some GSG5-pk and 5p for about $500 each.

Beef Jerky all around, some crap knifes. Looked like a few people got tables to sell their collections.

By far the busiest booth was the reloaded ammunition table. :ugh:

The other tables selling new ammo were 1.5x what you can find online or at wally world.

I saw a Norinco ak and a Wasr for $900 each.
    There weren't any ARs for less than $1100. Most were $1500+ stock models.
    One table had a used and abused Ruger 10/22 w/ wood stock for $300.

Took a few pictures of some :hsugh: deals

Only $300 over MSRP
    [​IMG]

A tacticool Ruger 10/22 for only $485 with original stock and barrel!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  11. Jurisbot Esq.

The cheapest stripped lower was going for $185, most were $200-250. I saw one booth has a stack of stripped lowers for $385. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

12. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

hm, I actually ended up going there last weekend. It was an interesting experience, but one of my coworkers invited me to a show in Houston next weekend, so that should be fun...

13. Crossett

Crossett New Member

They might have been billet

14. Jurisbot Esq.

Larue Billet is going for $250 on his site.