Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pineapple Devil, Dec 15, 2004.
i take my battery out so its completely running off of the wall power
I did it the other day, then I got really nervous and put it back in since my dog likes to lay between my chair and my ottoman and has pulled the power cord out of the back of my laptop on more than one occasion.
apple > * for coolness
the indicator lights on the battery that tell you how much of a charge its got on it
pretty cool. my windoze laptop just has a battery/charge icon in the system tray. it tells you how much charge the battery has by mousing over the icon.
I always leave mine in. Really no point in taking it out (I don't think, anyways).
some people take it out after it's fully charged so the laptop will run cooler since it's usually the battery that heats up most.
what benefit is there to removing it?
If it is plugged in it is running off the wall power period and charging your battery if not full. What's the point?
im scared that it will over charge and mess the battery life up. better safe than sorry i guess
i leave it in cause i'm worried what would get screwed up if the power got yanked out and the battery wasn't there to catch it.
Leave it in. These batteries last longer if they're kept trickle charging as opposed to being left dormant.
pretty much every notebook (PC) I've ever used has this on their batteries.
i know dell and sony doesnt have an external indicator light
I don't think gateway's do either.
I do it, keep the ibook cool longer
It would shut off just as your desktop would if the power went out.
which is to say, it wouldn't actually shut down properly. maybe i'm just old school, but i yell at my friend when he shuts down his machine by pulling the power cord when he's working on it. feel free to try and convince me that there's no chance whatsoever that the data on my hard drive will get fuxored by pulling the power cord while the machine is running.
I own 2 dell notebooks. Both have indicator lights.
My gateway 650XL has it.
I remove it when its running off the house power constantly.
Apple recommend you do it, so I do.
I leave the battery in when plugging in...it's gotta recharge somehow!
I leave it in
So which is better for it? Leaving it in or taking it out? I see contradicting stuff floating around.
I leave it in, sometimes just from moving it'll get unpluged.
As for knowning when it's fully charged, the lights on the battery are nice after doing a discharge but I mostly just look in the menu bar at the battery status there.
And for the heat, try this Macally Icepad http://www.macally.com/spec/specialties/accessories/icepad.html