Anyone else kinda disappointed with WWDC so far?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Wolf Demon, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon HURF DURF OT Supporter

I mean sure there's the 3G iPhone but we already knew that was coming. And then there's Snow Leopard...but I was waiting for more of a better update than what they already did for the macbook/macbook pros. I want bluray drives:sadwavey:

2. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

i am... i wanted more out of the iphone, and what is the deal with snow leopard? Any notes on that?

Edit:
    still no MMS and iChat?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Fuck Bluray drives. The discs cost $25 each for the burnable ones and Bluray sales have been falling for the last couple months with a decent chance they won't survive.

All in all, I don't think it was any less then people were expecting initially. It would have been nice to see MacBook Pro updates but the chances of it happening were very slim.

As I've been saying for quite some time, if people would quit following all the rumors and buying into all of them, you won't be let down every Macworld/WWDC when the announcements don't live up to the rumored hype.

4. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

So did DVDs when they first came out. Give it a little time and the price will come down on these, also. Now that HD-DVD is dead, bluray is the unofficial high definition standard. I don't think it's absurd to want one at this point... :dunno:

5. I desperately want a midrange tower so that I can convince my work to let me have a Mac.

6. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

I think a lot of people want that. Apple needs something to fill that gap IMO.

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

DVD didn't have a fight like HD-DVD and Bluray did though. You didn't see a drop in sales rather just a slow initial adoption with DVD. Now Toshiba is working on releasing a new standard and I think digital download will be the king. They can add it as a built-to-order option but I don't want it tacked onto all of the machines. If you really want a Bluray drive in your Mac, buy the $1000 one.

8. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

Oh believe me, I don't want it tacked onto all the machines by any means, but rather a BTO option. That has been one my greatest qualms with Apple over the years. They need more BTO options with their machines. I would also love to see built in AT&T air card as an option…. But I don’t see that happening either.

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

More BTO kinda sucks too. Apple HQ doesn't carry many machines at their store and thats where we get most of our machines unless we really want a BTO feature. I don't recall many options over the years that I would have wanted as BTO that weren't.

10. Wolf Demon

I'd like to have a blu-ray drive in the Macbook Pros so I could watch Bluray DVDs on it. I'm all for digital download stuff, but the college I am going to be going to has a 2gb upload/download limit per month. I'll probaby get my internet shut down doing that :(

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It's a MacBook Pro screen. There won't be a huge difference between HD and standard digital content. Get a stand-alone Bluray player for a hell of a lot less then $1000 if you really want to watch Bluray DVDs.

12. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I could care less about a Blu-ray drive. I have one in my other notebook and haven't used it yet to watch a movie. I'm not going to go out and buy movies that I can only watch on my computer. If they did that, they would probably have to put an HDMI port on the computer as well. I don't see them doing that either.

13. Wolf Demon

I'd be hooking it up to an HDTV:hsd:

14. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i want an apple dvr

15. Budha

Budha Guest

I'm disappointed w/ all of the apple events. They always come out w/ shit I don't want lol. During macworld last Jan, I was hoping and prayign for a new mbp. Didnt come out. Went and bought one, a month later, the new one comes out.

16. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

blue ray rip, dvi to 52" hdtv, win

17. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

bullshit, before DVD was out, there was also a war between two formats. I forget what the formats were called, but it was the same players as BluRay/HD-DVD.

18. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

I'm not to sure bout that. I think digital downloads will come onto thier own.

19. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

go to macrumors and look at the buyers guide before you buy.

20. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

:werd: once every home is wired with Fibre Optics, downloads will be King and take over. I'm guessing flash drives will grow even more in capacity, we already have solid state drives.

21. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

May have been a format war but nothing like the BluRay vs. HD-DVD one that went on. I think BluRay is going to be another one of Sony's failed formats to join Betamax, Minidisc, UMD, Memory Stick, and the others.

22. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

True, good thing somebody took matters into their hands to make sure it didn't get ugly. Too bad nobody did the same thing this time around

from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

In 1993, two high-density optical storage formats were being developed; one was the MultiMedia Compact Disc (MMCD), backed by Philips and Sony, and the other was the Super Density (SD) disc, supported by Toshiba, Time Warner, Matsushita Electric, Hitachi, Mitsubishi Electric, Pioneer, Thomson, and JVC.

23. Blair

Blair New Member

you are fucking kidding right? that could be the worst IT policy i have ever heard of - i would honestly not go to that college for sheer asshatedness.

24. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

With how much colleges/universities charge for tuition, you'd think you could get a decent amount of bandwidth.

and to answer the OP's question, no I'm not dissapointed with WWDC. People are fucking stupid if they think they are gonna get a MacMini/macbook air/iPhone/the second coming of Jeebus every year at WWDC.

25. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

laserdisc?