A&P Anyone else having trouble with color profiles?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by legendr34, Sep 17, 2009.

1. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

I have switched back my color profile from the calibrated sypder3 to sRGB since all colors come out different depending what program I'm using to open a picture.

For example, when I open hello.jpg in CS4 or Lightroom, the color is different from Irfanview. The color is also different from Irfranview and the default windows picture viewer. Same goes with IE, Firefox and Opera.

This only happens when I load the calibrated profile. If I leave it on sRGB, colors on every program are the same across the board.

Am I doing something wrong?

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I got 10 bucks that says the picture wasn't using an sRGB profile. No clue what infranview is, but none of the applications aside from lightroom can read color profiles.

By switching your monitor back to sRGB, all you did is dumb down your monitor to use the least common denominator.

3. legendr34

That may be the problem. So say I edit the photo in LR and export it, I should just save it as sRBG instead of my color profile? If I do that, the colors are different from the original edit.

My cousin really like the print out, it came out great.

*edit, saving as sRGB works now. Irfraview, which was my main picture viewer was causing some color problems, so I removed it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Here's the thing with that... Most printers can use and print Adobe RGB and ProPhoto color profiles, so when you're printing you want to stay in those, because there are more colors available, giving you better tonal ranges and gradients...

But the internets can't. The internets only work in sRGB. So the colors you see in your web browsers are the colors that everyone else sees! If your monitor is set to sRGB, it's throwing away all of the colors that aren't included in sRGB, and only showing you the ones sRGB can read... But that doesn't mean the colors aren't there... and you save your work in Adobe RGB, i'm still going to see the wrong colors in my monitor, because my monitor is set properly, so I can see the largest color space possible..

So you have two options:

1. make it a daily part of your workflow to save a seperate, sRGB copy of every image you edit, just for the web.

2. setup your workflow to entirely work in sRGB, so that from the time you get to lightroom, you're already only using the sRGB color space. It's not the end of the world. Your prints will still come out good.

I do option 1. But I guarantee I have one of the strangest workflows on this forum. I have at least 3 copies of every image I post, all for different purposes. It's kind of like OCD for image storage...

5. legendr34

Thanks, I'll start to work with sRGB. The only problem that i've found was IE8 and opera still displays photos too red, even when I export the file as sRGB in LR. Is that a known issue?

Can I safely assume that whatever I load in Photoshop is the true color of the photo?