Anyone else have really bad TMJ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Boosh Dag, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

every couple of months my TMJ gets so bad that my jaw actually slips out of joint and its really painful and short of going to an austiopath nothing can get it to go back into place. I'm in an amazing amount of pain and its kind of debilitation seeing as I really cant talk or eat. The guy I see is booked till the 7th of February so i was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they combat it.

Thanx guys.

2. graphs

graphs car wash cunt

I actually get really bad tension headaches cause i clench my jaw I also do it in my sleep so sometimes I have bad, bad headaches when I wake up, and it feels like ive been chewing gum all day long.

sucks.

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I used to also but one day it just didn't happen anymore.

4. stormywaters

stormywaters Tornadoes are just wind...

I have really mild TMJ from clenching my teeth at night and playing the flute for 11 years. I just get jaw aches though. :hs:
    Yours sounds horrible :hug:

5. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

I used to have really bad TMJ pain and jaw "clicking". At 26 I had braces to straighten my teeth. I still get the occasional "click" but the TMJ is nowhere near what it was before having braces.

Mind you, my orthodontist told me that dropping $5500 on orthodontia wasn't guaranteed to fix my TMJ or even help, it sure gave me a pretty smile. And it did help for what it's worth.

6. pinkcarriegirl

pinkcarriegirl New Member

I have mild TMJ and it really bothers me i can't imagine being in you position, but my sister had really bad TMJ. She actually had some of her orthodontia undone since it was the straitness of her teeth that really caused her problems. I know that she saw a chiropractor for sometime which helped with her TMJ as well. I don't really know what to tell you, but i hope you find some relief.

7. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

I have very mild TMJ and it doesn't bother me even near what yours does. I know there's a few route of treatments out there, your best bet would be to schedule a consultation with an oral surgeon or dentist. Many insurance companies won't pick up the cost of TMJ treatment because nothing is really "proven" to help, so just keep that in mind. Good luck, I wish I had more constructive advice to offer you.

8. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

Thanx for all the kind words OT friends :wavey:. I went to the ER today and they tried to pop my jaw back into place. It went back in, then fell right back out. Apparently I've torn a ligament that keeps my jaw in place so now I have to get surgery :wtc: Oh well. Hopefully after this I can kiss this problem good by.

EDIT: They did give me valium and vicoden so at least that worked out well. :hs:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  9. bovine

bovine New Member

Good luck in surgery, man.

10. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Oh man as someone who had surgery in my mouth area (tonsillectomy) I can tell you it's not a fun picnic.. :hs: The bright side of it is you'll get to drink lots of smoothies/milkshakes and have some pain killers. Could be worse I guess. Good luck with your surgery though.

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

OUCH! Mine isn't so bad that it pops out. You poor thing.

12. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

Mine's pretty terrible. It used to pop a ton and I'd have to kinda mess with it to get it back right, but now it just won't even open all the way. I'd literally have to pull it with my hands to try to get it to pop it open, and I'm sure it'd hurt like crazy :o It's pretty dang annoying

13. Digital_

Digital_ New Member

I have mild TMJ and you guys are freaking me out.

14. trey85stang

trey85stang New Member

I have a minor problem with it.. loud jaw pops when eating happen randomly. Its kind of akward but luckily doesnt happen to often.

15. DaZ

DaZ System 9 And The 7 Dwarfs OT Supporter

does anyone get pain killers for this shit?

16. OsirisMajor

OsirisMajor Guest

*edit*

Holy fucking caught off guard by a necro

17. spagina

spagina Active Member

My wife has a problem with this. I used to think I caused it because she used to blow me a lot. Well, time goes on, and the problem persists.

It usually occurs from January through March, which actually might make it more weather/season related. She now uses hot and cold compresses to relieve the pain, along with large doses of psychotropic drugs.

I think we now have it under control.