anyone else have a Dell XPS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, Sep 2, 2006.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

just got a Dell XPS 700 and love it. the red lights on the front of the computer are cool when in use, but I tend to leave my computer running when I'm sleeping, is there a way to turn off the red "glow" from the front of the computer without ripping the red l.e.d.s out of the computer? :dunno:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You could take the front panel off the case, install a switch on the wire that powers the LEDS, and mount the switch to the outside of the case...

If you like lit-up computers, consider this: In about 11 years, computers will be so fast that the electromagnetic field around the motherboard will glow a lime-green color. 500GHz baby, I can't wait.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

WTF? God I sure hope you are joking.

4. dew

dew Banned

DUCT TAPE fool.

5. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

just use a Sharpie...

6. deusexaethera

Hardly. A device (such as a motherboard) controlled by an electrical clock ticking at 500GHz, or 500 billion times per second, will produce electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength of about 585 nanometers. That falls right about in the middle of the spectrum of visible light, which ranges from 700nm (red) to 400nm (purple), or a nice lime-green color.

Whether the radiation will be strong enough to be visible is up for debate, of course, but since this is the same principle that LEDs use to make light, even a small amount of visible radiation should produce a pleasing dim glow inside the case. In the dark, at least.

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Okay, so you are joking. Thought my classes of EMF 401 years ago were fooling me. This is just as funny as your "circuit matrix" jokes.

8. deusexaethera

Would you care to explain what your problem is with what I said?

9. deusexaethera

Oops. Heh...I just remembered that the speed of light is 300 million meters per second, not 300 thousand. I was thinking of 300 thousand kilometers per second. Doh.

Okay, so my revised calculation is: in 25 years, computers will be fast enough that their motherboards will emit EMR in the visible light spectrum.

10. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Essentially you and your spiel on EMF. I won't explain my problem with what you said. I'll let you do it since youself since you put your foot in your mouth so well and so often.

Answer me these:

1.) Since when did motherboards have frequencies? Also, when did the CPU frequency ever match the motherboard frequencies?

2.) What's the relation of the frequency of electricity and clockspeed of a CPU?

3.) How do CPU's generate EMF? Is it supposed to generate any at all? If so how much?

4.) What happens if there is too much positive EMF? What happens when there is too much negative EMF?

5.) What physical effect does EMF have? I'll let you pick the medium the type of EMF? And what effect does EMF generated from electricity have on other components that generate EMF?

6.) What is your background on EE? BS? MS? MS in what? Inquiring minds would like to know.

11. fighted

fighted OT Supporter

these answers are funny. i too have an xps700. just boot into the bios by pressing f2 during start up. then find the chassis light color option and switch it to off or the color you want it to be (i'm partial to the blue). you can also over clock the processor and do a few more things in the bios. i suggest you read your manual and it'll tell you alot of neat things about your comp

12. Hartman

Hartman New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: that's the dumbest shit I've ever read.

13. deusexaethera

Of course motherboards have frequencies. What do you think the FSB speed measures? MHz = Millions of clock ticks per second.

This question makes no sense. The AC coming in from the wall oscillates at 60Hz, but since it's converted to DC before it ever reaches the internals of the computer, the relationship is irrelevant.

They generate EMF because everything that conducts electricity generates EMF. It may not be very strong, but it's there nonetheless. CPU manufacturers have to be careful to design the microscopic circuits in their CPUs so that EMF from current flow in one circuit won't induce current flow in another circuit.

Motherboards have to take EMF noise into consideration as well, however they can tolerate higher levels of EMF noise because the circuits are spaced hundreds or thousands of times further apart than the circuits in a CPU. As such, there is at least a chance that the EMF will be bright enough to be visible, when the frequency gets fast enough to fall within the visible spectrum.

This question is badly worded. Try again.

The effect that EMF has, depends on the material being permeated. Ferromagnetic materials (iron, cobalt, etc.) will either be attracted, repelled, or will vibrate (if the EMF oscillates). Non-ferromagnetic materials will experience induced current flow, but only if the EMF oscillates. Non-magnetic materials may experience vibration (as in the case of water molecules bombarded by microwaves) but the frequencies they are responsive to are very specific to each substance.

I'm sure they would.

14. deusexaethera

IBM recently tested a CPU capable of operating at > 500GHz when cryocooled, and over 300GHz at room temperature. They used a Silicon-Germanium substrate to make the CPU with. They are quite pleased, as am I.

15. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Try again. All answers are wrong and are your typical simplified spiel replies. The questions are misworded in your point of view because you know nothing about electromagnetic fields other than your little google searches and wiki lookups.

You make me enjoying firing kids like you. Thanks. BAN request submitted.

16. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

:bowdown: :bowdown: thank you so much!

17. deusexaethera

Good luck with that.

You enjoy firing people? You're a bigger asshole than I thought.

18. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Give it time.

Yup. Firing those who most certainly deserve it. One who talk a lot of bs, like you. Laying off people is another matter.

19. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Way to hijack a thread... At least the question was answered.

20. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

:mamoru: i love the drama of internet forums

21. deusexaethera

For all the shit you talk (and actually, because of all the shit you talk), you haven't given any reason for me to think you're anything more than a kid yourself. What's your background, sparky?

22. Hartman

Hartman New Member

you need a ban.

23. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

All the shit I talk? I don't talk a lot of shit, actually I don't even post here that much. Just whatever topics I feel like posting in. But when I see pure bullshit, I call it out. You are the king of misinformation on this board and very it's pathetic and very annoying.

I don't care what you think of me. Or anyone for the matter... If you didn't bother posting your experience on EMF, why should I bother posting mine?

What you need to learn is your role. Know when to speak, know when to give advice, know when to shut the fuck up. Your dumbass, just keeps going and going and going. Like an infected energizer bunny.

24. deusexaethera

You should bother posting your experience because it lends credibility to your claim that what I'm saying is bullshit. You're the one that called it out, show everybody why. It's not a tough concept and it would prevent a hell of a lot of these pissing contests that crop up in this forum.

Am I asking to get schooled? Yeah, I am. If you know better than I do, be a good person and share your knowledge. Maybe if I saw more evidence that other people know more than I do about various things, I would keep my mouth shut in those conversations. As it is, I already skip over a lot of topics where I start typing a response and then realize that I don't know as much as I thought I did, and I cancel the post.

You might say that it's not your problem. But it is; you're making it your problem by caring about it enough to post at all. So do something about it.

25. xinster

xinster New Member

after you guys come to a conclusion someone be nice and sum it up for me.