MMA Anyone else fuck up their ankle from submissions?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Last year I was in a small tournament and I think some new guy might have tried a twisting ankle lock. I felt fine until I was leaving, but later in the day it felt like my ankle had been sprained. I didn't see the doctor then because I didn't think I needed to, but looking back I should have gotten some crutches to walk on. I fell in a hole a couple months later and then I had to see the doctor and do physio, it feels normal but it still doesn't look the same :hs:

cliffs: heel hooks FTL

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

my instructor also told me they don't allow twisting ankle/lower leg submissions in tournaments in Canada due to the danger of permanent damage, I'm not sure how it is at Grappler's Quest, etc :dunno:

3. teep

teep New Member

I'm pretty sure heel hooks are fine at tourneys like Grapplers Quest. I know what you mean though, it's a dangerous submission. When I get it on kids in practice I just make sure I have it in tight and instead of cranking on it I just tell whoever I'm rolling with that I have it in. It's just one of those submissions you won't really feel until it's too late.

4. xinster

xinster New Member

i thought naga allowed straights and neck cranks for nogi.

When you get heelhooked and toeheld, usually is it the ankle or knee to go first?

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Not me, but I fucked up my knee playing baseball this weekend. :o

We're usually very careful with leglocks. My instructor loves teaching leglocks, heelhooks, kneebars, calf crushers, etc... so we do them. We are just very careful in training but especially in sparring.

6. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

It's often the ligaments that hold the knee together that get torn. I've had them sprained a few times in toe holds so now I don't allow anyone to crank a leg lock on me.

7. xinster

xinster New Member

i didn't think toe holds were such a big deal but now yeah i bunch them in the same category as heel hooks