COMIC Anyone else feeling fed up with comics?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by 0wn3d_productivity, Mar 1, 2007.

1. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

I really enjoy most of the Spiderman titles, but almost everything else I get (not Iron Man) seems like something I wasted money on. Batman hasn't been the same since DC's latest revamping, 52 is almost over and now they're putting out another weekly to suck money from the fans. I just feel like the best stuff has already been done. I'm tempted to just concentrate on silver and golden age stuff along with some bronze and modern that I've missed.

2. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Goddamn back button. I had a nice rant here...but the cliffs:
    I agree and disagree. However, the future looks bleak.

3. digimon001

digimon001 New Member

i agree, i stop reading comic since HS('99) and only read a couple here and there when i'm at teh book store. I came back into it again for the DC idc stuff and got back into comic again. And then came civil war and i was hooked and now after how CW ended and how it's going, i'll probably stop again if i don't find something good soon.

4. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Only stuff worth reading for me now are Ultimate titles and indies like TWD and Invincible, along with a few others.

5. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

replace twd with girls and Y and I agree with mooredodge i mean steve rogers i mean dick valentine

6. void

void oh yeah?

i could give a shit about the big two, i have a couple mini's and a few more ongoing marvel books on my pull list. the rest is vertigo, image, and wildstorm.

your comics piss you off every week, and mine make me piss myself in anticipation for the next book :o

7. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

I feel like writing my rant again.

Anyway, the last few years had some really good stuff. And honestly, the last decade was infinitely better than any other decade of comics ever. We had Civil War, House of M, and Infinite Crisis just recently. Those stories were so well told compared to older company-wide crossovers.

Then you have the separate ongoing titles. The writing and printing process has come a long way. First off, you have writers like Brian Michael Bendis, Jeph Loeb, Robert Kirkman, Geoff Johns, Mark Millar, JMS, Grant Morrison, Frank Miller, and Brian K Vaughan who are just extraordinary in what they do. And what do the comic companies do? They STILL recruit extraordinary talent: Orson Scott Card, Reginald Hudlin, Charlie Huston, Brad Meltzer, and Damon Lindeloff (I probably should have left him out). To top it off, you have artists that can draw WHAT THEY WANT and have it make it to print! In the past, the artists had to minimalize their art so that the dot-matrix of the printing process didn't lose the intention of the panels. Cross-hatching is a thing of the past. Colors and inks are done on Photoshop with Wacom tablets. The whole process is streamlined and efficient. All this, and still no mention about the content of the titles!!!

However, to talk about the titles requires a little conjecture from me. There are two ways to tell the story: Continue it, or Start Over. For many comics, starting over is necessary because the ability to continue it is either too difficult or too baggy. For other comics, starting over would be horrible because the continuity created is cherished by the fans who devoted their attention toward the fruition of it. In continuing a story, the fans feel like they're rewarded with fruits for their labors. For newcomers, the fruits are like an exotic delicacy that is difficult to appreciate. So therein lies a delicate balance of how much to continue and how much to recreate. Preserve the mythos or create a new one.

Let's take Moon Knight for example. I took it upon myself to learn the history of this character when they relaunched the title. I learned about his origin, his friends, his relationships, his hardships, and his adventures. I knew Moon Knight as a character pretty well. When I read the ongoing title, I knew what they were talking about. I knew Marlene, Crawley, Samuels, and Frenchie. I knew Bushman and what he meant to Moon Knight. I knew the significance of Crawley's teabag. Everything that happened throughout that comic was so brutal, yet so right, and I knew it, and I understood it, and I severely enjoyed it.

So I recommend it to other people. They read it, and they're like "meh, it's boring." These idiots had no idea what they were missing! But that's because those idiots truly did not know what they were actually missing. To them, this is a whole new mythos, but as is presented, it requires a knowledge of the previous mythos. So to them, it was just a bunch of clicks and whistles in the background of the raw skeleton of the story. To them, it was pretty much a loose plot.

Now take Identity Crisis. This story was a story that could have been written with or without the Justice League. It didn't matter if it was Ralph Dibny or Joe Schmoe. The fact of the matter is the story got to you. It made you cry. It made you angry. But it introduced people to the Justice League at the same time. This is a great story that created a new mythos. But to hardcore fans of the Justice League, they cry "where's Lex Luthor? What's Superman doing? Why aren't they saving the world? What about Blue Beetle?"

But those two are just extremes of the tradeoff which on their own still managed to sell extremely well. In a lot of the other comics nowadays, however, the tradeoff creates a suffering for comics. You have the kids and the adults that were kids. You either educate the kids or reinvent steel. Build them up or bring them up. So the reason that some people are fed up is because either they can't get into it or they've already heard the story. How many times can you read "a: Look behind you! b: I'm not falling for that old trick!" before it gets old? A formula has to be made to appeal to all audiences.

This formula is not generic. There are many. Read almost anything by those extraordinary authors; they know what they're doing. Well, maybe not the newcomers; they're just awesome writers in general, not necessarily in comics. Those men are heroes. They walk a fine line. They bring worlds together in bringing worlds to us. These men are artists. And then there's Gail Simone. She's a man, too.

8. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

Civil War was a letdown- all the hype, some serious shit happening and then Cap goes "Oh, my bad".

Now DC expects us to buy a years worth of comics again. The only thing that intrigues me about Countdown is why Batman might be wearing that Samurai looking dress thing.

9. kia

kia New Member

I think the big problem with comics, and why they seem to piss so many people off is the myth that you have to buy EVERY comic. The truth of the matter is that you only need to buy the comics you like.

So, no. If you like X-factor you don't have to buy House of M, Decimation, Civil War or Annihilation to enjoy yourself. If you like 52 you don't have to buy Identity crisis, Infinity crisis, Countdown or anything else. If you have any questions or a crossover happens then you have Wiki and the internet to help you figure out what's going on.

Imo, if you just buy the comics you like (spiderman) you'll be much happier and save money