MMA Anyone else feel like...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by damiand, Dec 28, 2006.

1. damiand

damiand Proceed

... it sucks that MMA is becoming meanstream? I think its the BEST thing for the sport and I'm 100% behind it. But especially with Mirko coming to the UFC I feel like it sucks now. I loved knowing how gnarly Mirko is at Pride, and showing clueless people his knockout clips. But now its like I feel that few years down the road UFC clothes, and Mirko security T's are going to be worn by college students who think Mirko is godlike. Its already getting there with Chuck.

I think its great, but it makes me sad. I loved having Pride keep its secrets across the water.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I just like to see talented fighters go at it, which is why I'm sad as well about Mirko's transfer to the UFC. I personally think he has a great chance against Fedor now that he's had another year of training, I just don't see why he's switching. In an interview of Pedro Rizzo and Big Nog about Fedor (pre crocop v. Fedor), Rizzo said that he trained and lived with Mirko for a short period and that he felt Crocop didn't have the heart of a warrior. Maybe it's true, and he's giving up on his dream to wear the Pride HW belt. Either way, it blows :wtc:

Then again, perhaps it will cause the UFC to get a better HW division and consequently fix its biggest Flaw. Then I could actually enjoy UFC events for a change :mamoru:

3. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I don't like all the barstool thugs I see nowadays. I can't tell you how many times I've heard somebody telling me "I'm four to six months away from being in the UFC," or "I'm training to be in the UFC," and other stupid shit like this. Enrollment in at SLO Kickboxing has gone through the roof since the first season of TUF, too, and the mat is always crowded now.

The more mainstream MMA gets, the more crowded our gyms will be, and the more stupid douchebags will act like thugs and sack ride the champs.

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

as for college students wearing Liddell and Crocop shirts and acting like they're the best fighters in the world, I couldn't care less. Fedor is and always will be the greatest fighter ever :mamoru: and all the real fans know it.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

the funny part is all that training won't help them because if you don't have the heart then you won't get anywhere.

6. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

if they had real talent, i wouldn't mind as much, but having a rotation of one timers and perpetual beginners is starting to piss me off.

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i think the only thing that bothers me is people speaking about the sport as if they know more than they do. However, I always was of the opinion that more mma = better. MMA becoming more mainstream is a way for us to see more fights on a consistent basis. Yes, the ufc cards are becoming more and more watered down, but I just like to see people fight. A high profile fight is not necessarily a better fight. Sometimes the unproven guys are the ones who really let it all hang loose.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

yeah... that has got to be annoying, just start kicking their ass for warmups and they'll either go cry about the beating they got and stop trying to learn how to fight, or they'll stick with it and learn to fight so they can kick your ass :o

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Another good view on the subject. Popularity will only bring more people to the sport. HOPEFULLY what will happen in a few years is there will be fewer PPV events and more cable-televised events with the good fighters and even title fights. This would be awesome. I'm always jealous of places like Thailand, where MT fights are on TV all the time and it's a regular part of the culture to watch them. If that happened here I would be very pleased.

I also think it would have a more positive effect on the culture, and maybe young guys would start seeing the light in using their fists and start to put the guns down as a result.

10. damiand

damiand Proceed

I agree with everything I said, I just hate to see MMA become a trend. I dont want it to become fashionable to wear Chuck Liddel T's under your vest.
    In the end I want good fights, and good treatment for fighters. And this is the best way to acheive that, but at times I feel I liked it more when MMA was a bit slower.

EDIT; This whole thread is partially inspired by the Maxim issue, I loved seeing GSP and Chuck in there, excellent exposure. I'm just not sure if I like the fan base and crap that comes with a sport going mainstream.

And as someone mentioned, it really sucks about all the wannabe experts...

11. damiand

damiand Proceed

Basically the route boxing went, only super fights were PPV and did great numbers in their time. If the UFC continues its expansion I dont think its too far out to see that.

On a related note

Who is in favor of the UFC dropping the Octagon in favor of a ring?

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

me me me me me

I'm much more neutral now than I used to be, where I really didn't like the cage. Still I prefer ring for various reasons I won't state because it would turn this into the 10th cage vs. ring thread of this year.

13. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

i'm pretty sure most of them aren't training for the UFC. Maybe some competition and the ability to kick some ass if needed outside. I'm a small guy and i see now more than before that this stuff can help my health and stop some drunk from having his way w/ me.

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

absolutely, but if you half ass your training like a lot of these guys probably do it will be worthless because you won't be any good.

Besides, I'm not a firm believer that MMA skills always translate to "street fight" skills, where there are no refs, no rules, no mat, no protective gear.

15. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I like it, the more people that come into the sport, the more competition we'll see in tournaments. More schools = less driving around and maybe :x: less money to pay. And it would give more exposure for the lighter weights :x:

16. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Im all for it. I remember having my mom drive me down to the video store to rent the first UFC's. I have been a fan on and off for as long as i can remember, and I can say the growth and mainstream exposure has done nothing but good things for me as a fan, and for fighters trying to make a living. More exposure is more money for the sport, which is always good.

It sounds like the thread starter is worried about his members only club opening their doors to the public. I think that if you were a true fan, that wouldnt bother you in the least. Sure people can sack ride Chuck, or Hughes, or whoever. But that has never bothered me, theyll never know about chucks battles with overeem, metzger, and jackson. Everyone who was saying Franklin was unbeatable at 185 never heard of A.Silva and everyone saying Silva is unstoppable now, never heard of chonan. The bottom line is that every sport will have wanna-be's and sack riders, but as a true MMA fan you shouldnt let that bother you.

17. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

More exposure means more popularity. More popularity means higher PPV numbers, more merchandise sold, bigger venues, etc. That (hopefully) equates to bigger paydays. Top athletes who normally would pursue other avenues will be drawn to the sport, creating a deeper talent pool. More schools will pop up, allowing more training options. Sure, some of those schools may be bogus, or just McDojos looking to cash in on a trend. If anything, those turd schools will make the legit, established schools seem that much more capable when competition time comes around.

18. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

:werd: :werd: That is the only thing that pisses me off.

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

yeah, if MMA gets bigger, that means fighters get more money, which means that when Ryry smokes their poles, they will pay him higher amounts of money because they have more to spend.

:rofl: just kidding

20. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

griffin - bonnar 1. :naughty: