MMA Anyone else feel like the UFC feels kinda weak right now

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GreatDeceiver, Sep 29, 2009.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

The past few threads about matchups and title contenders had me thinking.

We have LW, which is fairly exciting but all the top guys seem to have wins and losses over each other aside from BJ. Now we have Diego who is getting a shot after a couple of LW showings. Which is fine, but it says to me that Dana and Joe Silva are just trying to shake things up because the rest of the guys are just not gonna get the job done.

Now we have Swick and Hardy for WW contention, which is kind of ridiculous to me. I can see Swick getting a chance at a chance, but once again putting Hardy in there shows Dana trying to throw a new guy into the mix at the top to try and see if anything happens.

MW has Anderson, who seems very uninterested in MW fights, being challenged by Belfort. Granted he's had a good showing outside of the UFC, but fact is he's had only one UFC bout before his title shot. And aside from Hendo and Marquardt I don't see much action in the division.

LHW is still pretty good for me, especially the upcoming fight with Machida and Shogun, but the remainder of the roster seems to be fading. Rampage is being a baby and for now is considered retired. Forrest got embarrassed by Anderson, and while I know it doesn't mean much it sort of puts a damper on the guy's momentum. Chuck's done, Wandy is out for a while and looks like he'll put up a few entertaining fights but isn't a contender imo. Vera and Randy headlining is meh. I guess there's always Thiago, but we saw what Machida did to him.

HW seems ok, but with Lesnar at the top and a guy like Carwin getting a shot says that they are just struggling to put on a good competitive fight for the belt. Below that is Velasquez, Mir, Nog, Kongo, Dos Santos. Aside from Velasquez and Dos Santos and maybe Nog I don't see much of a challenge from that bunch. Barry still has a lot to show.

So, who seems exciting to me? LW I'd like to see what Fisher does against Stevenson, he's looked pretty good lately. Diaz had a nice win, and there's always Kenny and Clay. George Sotiropoulos looked great at LW too. Terry Etim maybe?

WW, GSP obviously, though without a good challenge even his awesomeness has limits. Johnson is someone to watch. Swick and Hardy has great potential, and...um...

MW, I don't know Henderson and Okami? Marquardt still puts on good fights...Bisping? Anderson just seems bored in there.

LHW, would like to see more of Bader. Rashad and Forrest are still up there, obviously Machida and Shogun, and I'll always want to see Wandy go to war. Sorry but bringing Tito back does nothing for me.

HW, Lesnar and Carwin out of sheer curiousity though I'm pretty sure I know what will happen. Velasquez is promising but I don't really care to see him beat up Rothwell. Nog looked good, but his MMage is a big factor in his consistency. I don't care to see Mir or Kongo fight to be honest. I'd like to see Dos Santos again, and curious to see how Struve and Barry do.

Anyway that's a Hummungusesque post but I'm bored and thought this might stir up a discussion. Once again fags, this is just my opinion so be gentle with my tender asshole.

2. GreatDeceiver

I'm sure I'm forgetting some promising guys/fights, but lately I've just had a hard time getting excited about the 'big' fights. They either seem totally one-sided or just uninteresting.

Now I just enjoy seeing random KO's and submissions from all the mid-level guys :dunno:

3. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

this

Unless it's Penn or GSP fighting - I don't even care.

4. GreatDeceiver

I remember how big of a hard on I'd get for title fights, and the fights leading up to them. Now it's more like a windsock :sad2:

5. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

yep. ditto.

all of the good contenders in all of the divisions have been beat.

fitch, kos, thiago.

sherk, stevenson, florian, guida, etc.

marquardt, maia, hendo (mehokami)

rashad, thiago, liddell, etc

hw is weak as fuck all around. shane carwin is garbage and will get ruined. going to take another year of fights for someone like velasquez/dos santos to be on brocks level.

I'm not even excited for strikeforce or dream anymore either.

No Penn or Ground St. Pound - no care.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

all because Matt Hughes got old

lol, i had to i'm sure you understand

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Im actually kinda excited to see how the TUF HWs go there is some big strong athletic guys in there.

And I don't see anyone with a shot at beating any of the belt holders.

8. teep

teep New Member

BJ, GSP, Anderson, and Lyoto are just on another level and with the way mma has been growing UFC has to fill the cards somehow to meet the demand. You're all just spoiled! :hs:

9. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I feel the same way :hs: windsock analogy was gold too

10. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Ground St. Pound holyshit lol. That's all true though, fuck.

11. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

yeah the title fights are significantly less interesting now, but just because there is 1 dominate force in every division.

I'm still extremely intrigued by the up and comers though. The guya who have been training MMA for their entire adult life, and will be able to overcome the champions someday.

12. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

love it, well done :bigthumb:

13. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

the champions are real champions i think

BJ penn hard to dethrone

GSP super hard to dethrone

A Silva longest UFC win record

Machida has hardly ever been hit

Lesnar... yeah..

14. Sammo

Sammo New Member

what were you gonna say about Lesnar, I want to know

15. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

BJ-Sanchez has the potential to be the best fight at 155 in a long time. Sanchez won't do the "press against the cage and hope he gets tired" game that Florian tried, will get in BJ's face, and will swing for the fences. I think BJ wins, but it could be a great fight.

Ground St. Pound is untouchable right now. And WW is so meh... Which is odd considering how loaded it was just a couple years ago.

MW could be interesting if the right fights get lined up. Belfort has looked good in his past few outings, but I don't think he brings anything to the table Silva can't handle. I'd rather see rematches with Hendo or Marquardt, especially Nate since he looks like he's taken another step in his game. His win over Maia was impressive, but it was the fight with Gouveia that was an eye-opener for me. That finish could have come out of a Jet Li movie.

LHW... I'm a HUGE Machida fan, but would still like to see him defend his belt a couple times before he gets called "unbeatable". If a healthy Shogun shows up it could be entertaining. If Rampage gets his head out of his ass and gets a shot it could be really entertaining. And the second tier of LHW is better than the second tier of the other divisions, IMO. And let's not forget Couture...

Heavies... meh. Lesnar is a beast, and has the skills and the physical tools to rule the roost for a long time, considering how thin the talent level at HW is. Maybe Carwin can get a one punch KO, or maybe Nog can sub him, but I doubt it. In fact, I think Carwin has a better chance because it looks like Lesnar doesn't like to get hit and still hasn't really had his chin tested. Randy stunned him a bit with a punch, and Mir slowed him down with a glancing knee (before being taken down like a ragdoll for the umpteenth time). If Carwin can land a clean punch before being double-legged into next week, he could get the W.

16. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

lesnar has legs big

17. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

2 many ufc's, tuf's MMA in general. I want the ufc to cut 1/2 their roster and have a ufc every 2-3 months. Then i would be pumped. Fuck this 2-3x a month thing.

18. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

No.

19. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

this

less TUF fighters, only high calibur blow out matches. sick of "paying" $50 and seeing bullshit fights so that I can see them more often.

Quality > Quantity

20. teep

teep New Member

only when quantity degrades quality. we'd still get the same high caliber fights regardless.

21. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

22. MyLittleAirport

I for one, don't mind all the UFC events I'm getting. Before it almost impossible to see any MMA event in the mainstream but with the help of TUF and the UFC, I can see an event or two almost every month. I think that's pretty fucking awesome, looking forward to a UFC event or a Dream/Sengoku/Strikeforce/WEC event makes it worth it.

23. MyLittleAirport

THIS IS BAD!?!?

:ugh:

24. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Sorry i have a life outside of MMA events. I don't look forward to seeing an mma event every weekend.

25. teep

teep New Member

right cause taking a few hours to watch a sporting event once a week means you have no life :hsugh:

no one makes you watch this shit. it's stupid to complain about the availability of it.