SRS Anyone else depressed from unemployment?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Jul 19, 2009.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I currently owe my parents about $6000 since they've been helping me with rent and school. I'd been running a small moving business off of craigslist for about 3 years (just me and my cargo van and I'd grab one of my friends for any 2-man jobs), but in the past year business has come to a complete stop, I'd be lucky if I could get even one job a month these days, so my parents have started covering my rent/living expenses until I can find a job. I've applied at practically every business in the area, at least 40-50 different places by now, but I haven't been able to get so much as an interview. My debt to my parents just keeps piling up while I'm just sitting at home doing nothing. I go out every couple of days to a new part of town, and put in applications at every business in the area, but I'm still getting no response. It's really making me feel like a worthless person, I've been sleeping up to 18 hours a day just to pass the time, I can't enjoy doing anything anymore because I just can't stop thinking about all the money I owe, and that I keep going even further into debt every day that I don't have a job.

2. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

when you apply, do you ask to speak to the manager to hand in your application?

does your resume have a cover letter?

After you've submitted your application, do you call back and ask to speak to a manager about it a few days later?

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

and treat applying for jobs as your full time job. As in, spend 8 hours a day doing it.

Are you applying at fast food joints? Since you're unemployed, no job should be considered too menial.

Perhaps even take up a telemarketing job until you can find better?

4. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'm 20 years old right now, the only formal work experience I have was a summer camp when I was 15 and 16, since then it's only been my moving work, but being a craigslist business, obviously it was all off the books. I still list that as my most recent job and make it clear it was a craigslist business, but I don't know if they actually give a shit about that.
    I have been applying only at low level stuff like fast food, Target, Home Depot, Petco, etc.
    I always ask to talk to the manager when putting in my application, or call a few days later to talk to the manager. Nothing.

5. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I wouldn't 'make it clear' it was a craigslist business

I would say 'ran a successful moving business from xxxx to yyyy'

Then in the interview, when they ask, you can give them information

6. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Also, keep harassing them. Call every few days, show up in person. If the manager sees you showing up three times a week, asking for a job, he'll either tell you to fuck off and go somewhere else, or hire you, because you're showing great dedication to wanting the job (and therefore will likely be a valuable employee)

7. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

My concern is that they would look into the business name I gave them, turn up with nothing and think that I'm just outright lying about my work history, and throw my application into the trash.

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I doubt they'd go to that much effort. When they see 'ran a business', they'll think you ran it yourself. Therefore, if it doesn't come up with anything, even if they looked into it, they'd just assume it wasn't big enough to come up.

Also, if they looked into it, they'd likely google it, and it'd probably show up then.

9. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

40-50 is nothing, I've sent out 200+ resumes in 7 months for different corporate jobs. It's HARD to find anything right now. There isn't much available, and what is.....you are competiting against 300 others that applied for the same job.

All you can do is keep searching, and keep applying.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

That's not all you can do, try to separate yourself from the pack. Dress in a coat and tie....yes for a job at Target. Why the fuck not? 99% of the other applicants won't do it....might as well try it.

Also, do you go in with a "pfft whatever" attitude or do you honestly express your desire to work there?

What about mowing lawns? I made bank back in the day doing this. It's hot and dirty work but the pay is awesome....and don't think there aren't any yards, you just have to be bold enough to ask. You'd be surprised at how many people in mid-summer switch lawn companies.

11. MagnersPear

MagnersPear New Member

sounds really tough, but sadly not uncommon. I have had a few close friends experience similar circumstances, you just need to stay positive and determine. good luck with it all

12. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

I am. I'm worried my resume doesn't stand out enough because my industry is so saturated and so many people are applying for the same jobs as me. I read that human resource people typically look at a resume for 30 seconds before they decide to keep you on the short list or throw you out. At this point I am going to pay to have my resume done by someone. Of course I still need to utilize my contacts to get a job, that's the most important thing.

13. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

This is interesting. I should start doing that. Also, when you do get an interview, always send a thank you note the same day.

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Not to try to one up, but just to give perspective--

My friends and I sent out a couple hundred resumes in a week, let alone months. It's just about getting a list of e-mail addresses, names, and companies. Access to an alumni directory will do all the hard work for you.

I think my friend sent 100 resumes out the other day. 100, all in "personal" e-mails.

We estimate we get around 15% reply rate on the low side. Often times if they get back to you at all, they will go one more step to help you at least.

They won't get pissed. They understand the situation. Worst thing that happens is they don't get back to you. Big deal.

15. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Given that you're asking for help, don't you think you should have given us complete information? Your having to answer 'yes' to having a criminal record for possession definitely affects your ability to find work.

At this point in time, I would recommend construction type work

16. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I was charged with felonies at my initial arrest but my conviction was only a misdemeanor.
    There have only been 5 or 6 applications I've filled out that ask about any criminal activity. Since the vast majority only ask "have you ever been convicted of a felony", I decided to leave it out so people don't get hung up on that, since for just about every other company, it's not an issue and I'm the same as any other college kid applying for a low level job.

Anyway, I wasn't so much looking for job search advice here, more just venting about how depressed unemployment has made me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  17. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

You can't get a job at Target or Home Depot?

Hm.

That seems more like your image, your attitude, or how you come across TO THEM than anything else. I mean, they don't give a shit about your work experience. They just want to make sure you're not going to shoot up the place and they can bear working with you.

18. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

To be fair to the topic starter, have you tried to get a job at either of those places right now? It isn't as easy as people are making it out to be right now. There are far more workers wanting jobs, even those jobs, right now then what is being hired.

For example, a new Target opened around the area. They only hired 8 new people out of 300 applicants. The rest were all transfers from other stores as they cut and reclassified positions.

19. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I've tried 3 Targets, 2 Wal Marts, 5 supermarkets, about 25 different restaurants, 5 sporting goods stores, about 10 stores like Bob's, Marshalls, etc, 7 different electronics stores, I've been calling all of them back, going in to talk to the manager, and not a single interview yet. I'll wear khaki shorts and a plain polo shirt when I go in, I'm clean shaven, have short well-tamed hair, always talk in a friendly yet professional manner. The only thing I could think of other than this shit economy is that I'm 6'6"/315lbs, so no matter how I present myself I always tend to come off as a bit imposing.

20. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Get. A. Construction. Job.

21. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You can't possibly be a worthless person, at least you are trying to do something about your situation by finding a new job ,look, listen 6000$ isn't the end of the world, i also was in your situation depressed and gone thru countless of interviews, but you know what, the most important thing about job searching is not giving up and remember persistance is the key to succes , i know this kind of stuff gets you down in the first instance, but you know what after a while you understand that you shouldn't put your emotions in all these job interviews, then in the end you understand that life is about keep going for gold all the time. As long as you do an effort into the right direction you can never blame yourself for doing the wrong thing or not being enterprising and most certainly not for being a worthless person.

You have worth because you have a drive for enterprising, sure sometimes bussiness won't be as good as usual, but after the economy revamps more work will be available and you can get to earn some money. Don't worry this thing too will pass.

22. Anticipate

Anticipate New Member

I am also unemployed and have been looking for work for a ridiculously long time (have been looking for a full time position for two years, but have had part time work since then). I am completely broke, and all money I have is from my parents (they say they are giving it to me, since they know I probably won't be able to pay them back, which is sad but true). In this time, I have probably sent out at least a hundred resumes (which I know is probably not enough), and have had at least two dozen interviews. I did once get a job offer last year, but the next day they called to cancel it. My job search has been so long and depressing, that I really don't have much hope for myself. I went to an interview just yesterday, but I have gotten so many rejections that I didn't feel hopeful at the end of it (especially since I got there late, and also could not work the exact hours that the position requires).

23. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Never be late to an interview. Ever.

If they offered you a position, then called to withdraw the offer, it sounds like one of your previous employers gave you a bad reference.

24. Anticipate

Anticipate New Member

I know you're right, but there's nothing I can do anymore for the past, all I can do is try my best to be early in the future.

There's not really any way of knowing what happened behind the scenes, although that is what I suspected. (But if they would do something sneaky like calling my previous employer without my knowledge, then I probably would not have wanted to work for them anyway).
    For the record, they claimed that immediately after they offered me the job, the former person who used to have the job called and asked for their job back and that they would have to give them the job. (It sounded like total bs, which is why I think there's a different explanation which I am not privy to). (My career counselor said that I should call HR and report what happened, but I didn't think it would be worth it, since I am obviously not going to be working for them or applying to their company again anyway).

In any case, if what you said is true, and my previous employer is giving back feedback on me, what can I do about that? I feel very powerless over something like that.

25. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Employers can provide a negative reference as long as it's factual, and they have documentation to back it up. There is a myth that employers can't give you a bad reference. With that said, most only provide dates of employment, and last job title, to avoid lawsuits.

Most employers do call previous employers, to at least verify you worked there and aren't lying on your resume.

The easiest way to see what they are saying about you is to have a friend call your previous employer, and tell them they are such and such from company X, and they are calling for a reference for you. See what they say. If it's untrue, send them an email stating that you became aware they provided false and malicous information on a reference request, and you ask them to stop immediatly. If they do not, you will sue for slander and defamation. Make sure to copy the HR dept on the email to.