Anyone effectively dealt with patellar tendonitis?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by sprite, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprite

sprite Active Member

I have an appointment with the doc in early December, but after a lot of reading my symptoms seem to point to patellar tendonitis. That knee is generally fucked up... dislocated the patella in high school, then dislocated the joint in college and tore up some cartilage & scar tissue.

Basically its preventing me from squatting or performing any other movement involving a deep knee bend with any regularity. Deadlifting does not seem to bother it, or at least not nearly as much. It originally flared up badly after squatting 3x/week for a few weeks on the program outlined in Starting Strength. For the last three weeks I've cut squatting to 1x/week, but even at that if I squat on Wednesday I'm limping until Sunday. So, I'm substituting with stuff like GM's & RDL's, but really haven't found any movements to hit my quads without inflaming my knee.

I always do a good warmup, some light cardio for 5 minutes & then 10 minutes or so of dynamic stretching. I wear neoprene knee sleeves to keep everything warm while I'm lifting. Then after training and/or on off days I do static stretching and some band traction stuff. Ice & ibuprofen when I really can't stand it.

Any other recommendations?

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

painful eccentrics

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Googling. Thanks.

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

5. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

what got rid of mine was balancing my quads/hams. guess i had some muscle imbalance, isolated each group with the machines for a few weeks every other day or so, worked pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.