Anyone done the Windows Vista to 7 upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Apr 19, 2010.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What are the results usually like? Obviously a fresh install is always best, but is the Vista-to-7 upgrade clean enough that it works well, or does it make a stinking mess of the Registry and filesystem?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've been running a Vista to 7 upgrade for a while now and everything is fine.

IIRC, the upgrade will put everything from the previous OS in a windows.old folder.

3. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

Did 2 upgrades this weekend on my machines.

Did a 64-bit upgrade from Vista to Win7 Home Premium on my desktop with no problems. Used to take over 2 minutes for my PC to boot, now less than 30 seconds.
    If you run multiple monitors, connect only your primary monitor.

Did another one on my HP laptop, a 32 bit upgrade and went smoothly except for one problem, but googling it solved it.

Did notice that on my desktop after upgrading to Win7, my Windows Experience Score dropped when I installed dual ATI HD 4650 video cards, but I don't play games, so no big problem.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If this gets done, it will get done on an HP Pavilion tablet, so I really don't want to have to chase down new proprietary drivers for everything. The tablet was built for Vista, so I expect it would work fine with 7 too. Glad to hear the upgrade process is fairly straightforward.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have an HP Pavilion laptop DV9005US that was built for Vista (but shipped with XP) that runs fine with Vista, but just hates W7.

I had to put Vista back on it. I now have an extra W7 key. My wife would kill me if she knew I had spent $80 for a W7 key and it wasn't getting used.

I have a thought about your situation (which I didn't have before I purchased my key... grrrr...)..

I have noticed that you can install W7 and Vista without a key. I think you get 30 days till it forces you to put a key in. Doing this is easy, during the install where it asks for the key don't put anything in the boxes, just hit enter. It continues with the install.

Anyways...

What you REALLY want to do is hit up HP's page and look up your tablets product number and go to drivers. IF it has drivers for W7 you are probably fine. My laptop has no drivers for W7, a clear indication that I probably should not have dropped $80.....

Oh, having said all that you are probably wondering how to get W7.

Well.....

Microsoft decided a while ago to allow internet sites directly sell W7 Keys. You no longer have to have a disc and sticker to have an official version of the OS.

Go here to read up: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

I think you can do a W7 install without the key and get 30 days out of it before

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

BTW:
    W7 does an excellent job of hunting down drivers and installing them itself. If you go to HP's page and find drivers listed you should probably download them and put them on a CD or USB stick just in case... but in all likelyhood you won't need them.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto... Windows 7 has a boat load of drivers. I have an old Sony sub-dye photo printer that didn't have Vista drivers. Windows 7 automatically found a driver for me.