Anyone doin the vinyl thing?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by emorphien, Apr 27, 2006.

1. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I was just wondering if any of you guys have a turntable and listen to vinyl with any regularity. If you do, what equipment do you use?

I finally am getting around to getting a new turntable and have my cartridge on the way and will be ordering one of the remaining Rega P2s by mid next week plus probably an inexpensive MM cartridge as backup and to get set up on. My good cartridge has to cross the Atlantic to get here and will be a bit slower.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i wish i had a turntable, got a lot of old vinyl around

3. emorphien

emorphien New Member

not even any discussion... home audio gets swamped by all the car audio nonsense in here haha

4. russ6570

russ6570 New Member

Ok, I'm new, but I'll bite.
    Mission 775sm Turnatable, Shure M97xE Audiophile cartridge, running through an Audio Control equilizer and a Nakamichi Ta-4A Stasis Reciever/Ampliphier. The speakers I have in it right now are KEF Q-series studio moniters that my stepdad bought used for 600 for the pair, but I am in the process of building my own speakers

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Cool. I finally got my Denon set up on the Rega. Still breaking it in some but loving every minute of it because even at the start it was way more refined and detailed than my old turntable.

6. russ6570

russ6570 New Member

I need to figure out a good pad to go on the plinth.. the felt pad that came with mine kills the sound, but I'm afraid the metal of it will ruin my vinyls if scratched on them

7. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Yeah some seem to come with really bad pads. I'm not at the point where I want to start playing with that on my Rega. It has a relatively dense felt pad.

That's one of those things where I can see how different materials would have an impact on the sound, record players are much more fickle than most other sources. Sad thing is so many of the replacement mats are so expensive!

8. TroubleMan

TroubleMan New Member

Dual direct drive turntable, Audio Technica cartridge

Sony ES tape deck

Sony ES Reciever

Sony cd/dvd/Mp3 Player

ADC 10x2 band Eq with spectrum analyzer

JBL L5 4-way towers
    JBL L1 2 ways in the rear
    JBL L center 3-way channel speaker

15 miles from me is my favorite store Forever Young records. Sometimes I stay in there well past an hour, that's how much vinyl they have.
    I have about 400 albums and 12 inch singles all together.
    When I have more money to play with, I'll be on the hunt for a Technics 1300 turntable. I always wanted that one. Certain OLDER music only sound better through the dynamic but less harsh sound of vinyl.
    Some cd's are NOT mastered good. It's just loud.

9. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Some new music sounds really good on vinyl as well. A lot of modern pop style music doesn't sound right on vinyl but anything symphonic or jazzy usually plays nicely with vinyl. Radiohead and Guster also work very well with the vinyl sound. Their CDs are also mastered better than your average pop CD.

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i've always loved the sound of some vinyl. listening to some older jazz, country, or just vintage music in general kinda takes me back to what those days may have been like.

11. russ6570

russ6570 New Member

Tool is beautiful on Vinyl. I can't wait to get some Radiohead on Vinyl