Anyone do affirmations?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yeah this probably isn't the most vag-related topic, and would probably be more appropriately placed in the Asylum or On-Topic, but I like you guys the best so I wanted your opinions.

Does anyone here have any experience with doing daily affirmations or anything like that? Were they effective? Talk to me about that.

2. Jaff

Jaff New Member

I've done some of this but it didn't last. I had a hard time internalizing and identifying with them on a personal level. They always seem to be worded in a way that doesn't do it for me.... fake like... Lately I've been taking to setting my password at work to something like this just so it runs through my head every morning without effort.

Something similar I've found useful is interrupting negative thought loops by reminding yourself how rediculous they have become and how you are a good person in society and shouldn't kill yourself etc.

3. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

This can't possibly work.

What do you say to yourself?

Edit: maybe I set the wrong tone, but I'm genuinely curious. What kind of stuff do you say, and does it actually do anything?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Maybe come up with your own?

5. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Personally they don’t work for me with anything except business. I am a young guy in an industry full of old guys who have been in it for decades. So they have a hard time getting over my age. Which psychs me out unless I pump myself up basically and get myself into my normal state.

It's kinda sad when what throws me off is old men :o

6. fluentinsilence

fluentinsilence New Member

No, that's just silly.

7. ware_ru

ware_ru I know, I know, I'm amazing

positivity challenge

8. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

LOL experimenting with some David D or other NLP embedding/suggestion fans?

I've used affirmations before and occasionally I'll read off a list, but nothing on a daily basis.

You may NOW WANT to read through this list and BEGIN TO SEE the changes you might need to make to BECOME YOUR BEST SELF.

Some might think these are bogus, and I'M RIGHT there with you on that.

Humor them for a minute.

I’m comfortable in my skin.
    I’m a strong confident communicator.
    I’m in control of my emotional self.
    Outside events don’t destabilize me.
    I’m not needy.
    I keep my power for me.
    I have no sexual hang-ups.
    I’m comfortable with my own views.
    I’m comfortable around women.
    I can hold back when I choose and delay gratification.
    I don’t tolerate disrespect to myself, time, or property.
    I’m a catch and any women that’s with me I is fortunate enough to have my attention.
    I’m not impressed by outward symbols or money status.
    I may be smitten by a woman, but I don’t tell her early on and I don’t let it slip indirectly.
    I don’t let women use looks and sexual power to take advantage; no special privileges.
    I’m unselfconscious and could care less what others think.
    I put my self and my life first.
    I deserve have permission and can hold an exceptional women.
    I’m indifferent to the outcome of all situations.
    I understand the culture; I get it.
    I can deal with any test a woman throws at me; in fact it’s usually kinda cute.
    I live in my reality and you’re a guest.
    I’m a cause in the world not an effect.
    I make things happen.​
    I could but I won’t.

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Are you referring to "talk to me about them" because you bolded it? No. I just said that because that's what they said at my interview for my old job. There were no normal questions. It was all "Tell me about a time when..." Or "Talk to me about..."

10. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Holy fuck dude, you can sum that all up with "This is MY world". That is it, nothing more, nothing less.

:rofl: @ picturing you reading that list to yourself everyday

11. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

1. I copied/pasted that from a .txt
    2. Instead of picturing me reading that go back and actually read what I wrote.

I don't read those on a daily basis. In the past 2 years I've problably read them 5 or 6 times out loud.

If you are familiar with affirmations or reframing (which you may indicate you are because you've read OF them) you would understand the usefullness of the repetition vs. cutting corners.

It's easy, from a standpoint of having the belief that "this is my world", to imagine exercises like these to be a waste of time.

12. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Oh.

It's a classic communication tactic that a lot of seduction guys use.

David D probably most predominantly.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

It used to piss me the fuck off in job interviews.

How is it used in seduction?

14. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

and how did i not know about this

15. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Floppy, I would have to assume it is the same principle as hypnosis.

16. NCS

NCS Active Member

and how do i not get what you guys are referring to?

17. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

I know all about them, and I know all about reframing. One of the key aspects of reframing is to small chunk it, because to much at once will fail. You listed like 30 things there, most of which almost makes me a little sad you even need to reafirm with yourself "I'm not needy" for example, are you kidding?

"This is MY world" is a lot more powerful. It is one thing, pumps you up and lets you take what you want - because it is your world, lets you not tolerate stupid people - because it is your world, lets you walk up and talk to whoever you want - because it is your world, lets you do everything in your list - because it is your world.

Except instead of even saying this to myself I just fully grasped the concept a few years ago. The only time I need to do it is what I said above.

18. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

:ugh2:

I've tried those kinds of things, and they don't work for me. It's a bunch of paper-jockey stuff that self-help books like to throw at you.

You don't have to consistently remind yourself that you are the greatest or that you are some confident person. Telling yourself that stuff will make you feel on top of the world for about 20 minutes and then all the crap comes rushing back in.

The only way to truly gain self-confidence is through experience. You have to fail and then find the strength within yourself to get back up and go at it again and again until you meet with SUCCESS.

Now, if you use these types of affirmations to motivate you to get back up after getting off your ass and doing something, then fine, do what works. But these are for the most part trash in my opinion.

I would advocate meditation and/or "koans" over this stuff.

19. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

cliffs on koans?

20. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

principle of psycho-cybernetics, hypnosis, nlp, etc. etc.

It's not really that important

Neither of you wrote self help books so while you understand the IDEA or premise of concepts you don't understand the neurology/psychology of it.

And I'm not ragging on anybody, but unless you have formal training in therapy, hypnosis training, NLP certification, or something of that nature you have no business pretending to know precisely why certain things work and certain things don't.

It's nothing personal.

I thought I knew "all about" reframing, and "all about" affirmations until I took an NLP course and realized we've been taking massive shortcuts in learning about this stuff.

And it's particularly frustrating when a person asks for advice or recommendations for something specific and, despite not actively and currently USING the tool, I recommend it out of his general curiosity and people assume I read them to myself every day.

I don't.

It's a copied/pasted list from a file I forgot I had.

Do you go to the grocery store and say "I need food"?

Or do you say "I need milk. I need eggs. I'm cooking dinner for my parents so I'll need pasta and meat."

You cannot have the one without the many.

There's a lot of hubris around here. A lot of people might be frustrated with their lives and hate their narcissistic attitude but can't help but admire themselves for "getting" something.

It's common, and it's disappointing.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  21. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Wait, you've writen books on those subjects? And I'm not sure who you are refering to when you say "We've been taking massive shortcuts when learning about this stuff" because I didn't learn about this stuff through the Vag, through OT, or even the internet. So if you took shortcuts, good for you for correcting them, but you have no clue to the extent of my knowledge on these subjects.

22. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Oh so you learned about reframing through a paid course?

You had a teacher?

A mentor?

Personal discussion group (or classmates)?

You can call someone up RIGHT THIS MOMENT who gets paid $300+ an hour for the work they do with these specific concepts?

Or did you read it from Bandler or Monsters and Magic Sticks or Tony Robbins or some downloaded torrent -- or all of the above?

I don't know your knowledge of the subjects. That's not my business. It's your own.

But don't jump down my throat because he wanted to know about some affirmations and I showed him.

23. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

It definitely has a lot of small things that can be self taught. Or even shared over a msg board. But a course does push your knowledge and understanding to an entirly new level.

You can learn arm chair psychology from reading books, but if you actually get some schooling you obviously have a firmer grasp on psychology and how to apply it.

24. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Keeping it as simple as possible is the best thing you can do, breathing deep is also. Going for it, is most important, nothing else will help.

25. shrew

shrew OT Supporter

used to use them..... now i just get in state, i dont have to remind myself who i am anymore

I am growing every day as a person.

I am moving forward at mach speed.

Every experience I have is valuable in some way.

People are magnetically drawn to me.

I radiate joy and warmth with my smile.

The world (and everyone in it) is my friend.

As I think, I shall become.

My intentions manifest themselves when I strongly believe in them.

I am a positive person, and I see the best in all situations. I see the best in other people and my purpose is to elevate them to higher level.

I am steadfastly determined in the face of fears, obstacles, and setbacks. I am unconquerable.

My will is my way. I determine my reality.

My destiny is completely in my control. I am internally centered.

Nothing can stop me.

I am the coolest guy a girl will meet all day.

I respect and accept others for who they are in the present moment.

I am completely positive and open and nonjudgmental.

My awareness permeates my being and my positive thoughts project onto others, drawing them closer to me on an unconscious, invisible level.

I deserve the very best of what the world has to offer.

The world has an unlimited abundance of women, friends, happiness, money, and value.

I am overflowing with great emotions, chill vibes, and positive, playful energy, and I am strongly and unconsciously compelled to share it with others.

Whether or not I enjoy my day is a conscious choice I make when I wake up and greet the day. Positive, energetic, optimistic fun-filled days of growth and achievement are mine when I simply make the choice to make it so.

I live life by my own design.