Anyone delete the hidden OS partition on laptops and start from scratch??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, May 2, 2009.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm about to format one of my laptops that's getting a little slow/too much bullshit on it/etc. (I probably do this once or twice a year). The OS system is on a hidden partition like most laptops these days. There's also a "restore drive to factory default" tool in the Vaio Recovery tools, which makes it nice and easy, no downloading/installing drivers etc.

The problem is, I'd like to use this really nice version of XP pro I have that's been pre configured and stripped down of all the bullshit that makes windows slow. I'm wondering if I can format and install windows on the main partition, and boot from that instead of the hidden partition. I don't really want to delete the factory OS partition

it was sooo much nicer back in the day when they just gave you a couple fucking CD's w/ Windows, Drivers, etc :rolleyes:

Any fancy tricks or tips on the best way to do this? :x:

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

the hidden partition is just for recovery anyways
    you can do whatever you want on the main partition

manufacturers stopped making cds to keep the cost down.
    you can contact them and ask for a copy of the recovery cd/dvd (you might pay a $15 fee for shipping or something)
    or create your own, just google the steps on how to create one

3. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

yea I think I told the lady @ Sony she could go fuck herself when she tried to charge me ~$35 for a 10 cent drivers cd :mamoru:.....for a computer I just paid $1000 for.....which came packed full of junkware :madfawk::madfawk::madfawk:. I asked for an iso and she had no clue what that was :rolleyes:. And Sony's driver download website sucks

I'm think I'm gonna go ahead and delete/format all partitions, reinstall windows, drivers, basic software etc and make a disk image to make it easier the next time I format. (Acronis True Image any good??)

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

the contents of the hidden partition is basically the same as the recovery disc they'll send you.

like i've said,... you can create one yourself.
    you can extract the contents of the hidden partition and burn it to a bootable cd/dvd.
    or use apps such as acronis true image,... which will use whatever is in the main partition.

acronis is what i use

5. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

ahhhh ok I get it now....so it's not really the OS, it's just the install files. That makes sense since the Windows folder is on the main C:\ partition. What format are the files on the hidden partition in? How do I get to them? I guess I could google it :). I'm mainly just concerned about the drivers (windows is just XP Media Center :o).

Thanks for ur help :wavey:

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yeah,... installer, pre-loaded with drivers and Sony's crappy apps

i'm not sure how sony sets it up. probably cab files or an image (encrypted)
    just google it

why bother though,... like you've said,.. acronis method is much better since you can include your personal settings and favorite apps (e.g. firefox, photoshop, media players, etc).
    reinstalling everything sucks

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

need to do something similar on my brothers lenovo for him. he's complained from almost day one that the thing is slow. It's got vista ultimate.

I haven't used acronis in a long time but I still have a version somewhere around here. I thought it just made an image of the drive. How can it be used in this instance?

8. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

That's what I would do.

Use Acronis Disk Director to blow all the current partitions away, and make a new one spanning the entire disk (or split it up however you want). Install OS, get everything how you want it, then use Acronis True Image to dump the drive to a USB stick.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

if it's a recent lenovo, he can first create recovery dvd's (just once per installment) and then blow everything away.

i personally keep the hidden partition just because it doesn't take up much space... may be better for resale too...

there's tons of crap that lenovo delivers with the laptop. i removed about 20 programs and my vista home install is quite peppy. there's a lot of crap that you don't need. one of which is SQL. heh

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

My suggestion is to not assume the trimmed down XP will be any better, or even as good.

Reformat off of the hidden partion first.

Set everything up the way you like, then burn an Acronis backup of that partition to dvd.

Then go ahead and wipe the drive and install the latest greatest version of XP that you have.

That way if it's ftl, you can pop the Acronis DVD in there and be back to original spec.

Just make sure you remember to make the bootable rescue cd first.

11. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Done :bigthumb: .... fucking amazing how much faster this thing is running now :coold:

was about to.....but then I was like meh, 6gb, that's like a dozen full prons ..... (delete, enter, L) :mamoru:

I actually found a tool in the sony utilities program I never even knew about which burns it all on 2 DVD's (bootable) .... so I have backups now.

12. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm not, I've had it a few years now and have used it on probably a dozen different machines. Very happy w/ it

Here's the specs if you're interested