WEB Anyone dealt with socialengine??? I need help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thisgsx, Mar 6, 2010.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

So I am about to pull the trigger on their license and plugins. The thing is I am totally new to all this stuff. My domain name and hosting is done at godaddy. How would I go about installing/uploading the package into my site? I've read the system requirements at socialengine but I am completely lost as to what I should/need to do. I know that godaddy's host has mysql and php, but Im not sure about GD?? I ran a search on google and I read that the newer versions of php has its own built in GD library. So I am assuming Im good to go on that part? So basically all I would have to do is buy the license and plugin's, install it on my computer and then upload all the files via a FTP client such as filezilla?? If any of you can point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate it. Thanks! :wtc:

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Gather a list of specifications that SocialEngine uses and e-mail GoDaddy support asking if the server they provided you is capable of that list of specifications. If so, you should run into minimal issues.

Yes, once you have the files you'd upload them to your web root directory. There will also likely be a configuration file that you will have to modify to support the credentials of your new server. You will probably have to create a database, create a user for that database, then add these credentials to the config file. If SocialEngine is competent software, then after that, SocialEngine should be able to take care of itself throughout the rest of the install.

I suggest you read howtos for installing and configuring SocialEngine.

3. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

thanks kingtoad, one question, how the hell do you know so much? :bigthumb: Thanks again, you'll probably be seeing me quite a bit on here from now on.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

TWL always welcomes new people to our little community. :) Welcome.