anyone dealt with a shoulder labral tear?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by infinite loop, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

i fucked up my right shoulder on my first rep of arnold presses a month ago. it was my very first set and i was going very conservative, using only 40lbs.

xrays were negative, doc suspected a slap tear but sent me to PT to try to work it out. after 4 sessions, the therapist said he has enough evidence to suspect problems with the labrum. i'm calling tomorrow to get a dye injected mri.

i've been doing some research and i found conflicting articles on treatment options. some say surgery is not necessary, others say it's teh only way to return to athletic activity. anyone here already go through the rehab experience? i'm curious what all you did.

2. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I tore mine completely off the bone. I had to get surgery, I didn't know it was torn and worked out for 6 months with it being that way. So if you have torn it here are the symptoms that I had>
    1) wake up in pain on a daily basis, literally no range of motion
    2) feels ok during pressing movements after being warmed up then stabbing upon completion.
    3) if you try to flex your traps you will feel a stabbing pain.
    Took 4 months of rehab. I still have ROM problems to this day due to scar tissue.

3. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

my symptoms are nowhere near as bad as yours. i can't do any type of overhead movement or raise my arm laterraly past 45 degrees, among other rom issues.

pain is really deep and i can't describe it. the doc was pretty sure it was the labrum, but wanted to play it safe sending me to PT. big waste of time and money :wtc:

4. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

Nasser said you could train like that because you on the nubain

5. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

I had an arthrogram like you are going to have and found out that I have a partial tear. Usually, surgery isn't necessary unless it's a complete tear or if it becomes an absolute quality of life issue. I have found PT exercises and cold laser therapy to be very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.