WEB Anyone create a Facebook App?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by airbball23, Jun 7, 2008.

1. airbball23

airbball23 Rent this Space only $5/mnth

just wondering if anyone create a facebook app? If so is the app successful? Also, did you create it or did you outsource it? If you outsourced your work, what site do you recommend to find some good programmers?

2. Oh its me 20

Oh its me 20 New Member

thats a dead business.

3. Browning

Browning Active Member

that's not what he asked.

Seems a few from OT have. Searching facebook in this forum brought back some threads that may be useful to you.:dunno: I would have linked but I don't think that works for searches.

4. Oh its me 20

Oh its me 20 New Member

It may not have been, but obviously he's interested in the concept of building one.

Why direct him to some offshore company that will charge him a few hundred to a few thousand dollars to build one, then find out the entire market is going downhill?

5. airbball23

i dont think it's totally dead - if you come up with an app that many ppl find "fun" or "useful" ppl will install it - like that bumperstick app is pretty big atm.

6. ge0

ge0 New Member

how do you monetize a fb app?

7. airbball23

you just have to think outside the box

but if you have a successful ad and another company is interested in buying it - this could mean big money for you

for example - many ppl pay for the number of installs you have - avg about $1 an install - let's say you have 300,000 installs - that's $300,000

or let's say they will only pay for active number of users - but this you would charge $10 per active user and let's say you have 1,000 active users you make $10000.

or you can put up social media advertisement or adsenses.. just to name a few ways

8. ge0

ge0 New Member

I got a developer API key from Facebook

never used it

9. Oh its me 20

Oh its me 20 New Member

Bumper Sticker is big because it was one of the first apps to be adopted by everyone. Since that time FB has taken loads of steps to reduce the virality of the applications such as preventing mandatory invites, penalizing apps that send invites that aren't accepted, and removing the majority of apps from the mini-feed (not to mention the even further downward turn they will take once the new profile design is released in the coming weeks). It is impossible to get an app to even 1/4 of the size of Bumper Sticker at this point.

No one is paying a $1 an install. At most .05 - .15 (and thats for US). International traffic is $.01. Plus in general, the entire concept of advertising on social network is unproven

While I agree that you can put adsense on there and possibly make some money, no one is charging $10 per active user. Anywhere.

I'm not trying to prevent you from building an app. If you have the disposable income to do so then go for it. I just suggest you really do your homework on the FB environment and see how apps were doing back in December and where they are now (and then where they will be shortly). FB is getting too much hype and is causing the classic scenario:
    [​IMG]

10. Josh

Josh Guest

I think anyone that signs up can get one :o