Anyone care to help a noob to wireless?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by attomica, Dec 16, 2007.

1. attomica

attomica Active Member

Okay, I know some of you deal with this stuff regularly and it comes as second nature to you. I'm not one of those guys. Please excuse what seems as ignorance, but really isn't.

I've got my Mac on cable internet. I had it set up cable>cable modem>Mac. I bought an iPhone and want WiFi at home so I don't have to use the shitty AT&T EDGE network.

So I bought a Linksys WRT54G router. I was under the impression that all I had to do was power-up the router, go cable>router>cable modem>Mac and that would be it and I would be able to access wireless with the iPhone.

The problem I'm encountering is that when I put things together like I just described, my Mac says it's not connected to the internet. Doesn't the internet signal just pass through the router and right into the computer?

And what can I do to ensure security so no one can access my wireless?

I know there's a simple solution, I just don't know what it is. I'd appreciate anyone's clear insight.

2. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

it should be go cable>cable modem>router>mac

3. smrtsc29

smrtsc29 New Member

cable from wall>cable modem>router>mac then set up the network on your comp. that should do it

4. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

This is the way.

And if you want to setup some sort of security, I'd suggest using WPA/WPA2-PSK. It's pretty easy to setup. Just log in to your router by opening up your web browser on your mac (it's hard wired, right?) and put in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. Login should be username: admin / password: <nothing> or the other way around. I think it's the second but I haven't done it in a long while for the OEM firmware. Perhaps someone could go more into detail on this part if they have the OEM firmware, but browse around for a wireless security option. Once you find it, there should be a check box or a drop down for what type you want to use. Use WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. I think you'll have to come up with your own key, but it may generate a key for you based off of a keyword. Once you're done with that, save it and write down your key (it'll be too long to remember) and just put it into your iPhone :dunno:

5. attomica

attomica Active Member

So, if I go cable>cable modem>router>mac, should I still have internet access? Or do I have to set-up something else? The reason I ask is because I ran the cabling as I should have and was able to log onto the Linksys router configure page (192.168.1.1), but then got a message saying "Can't find PPPoE server" (or something like that) and couldn't get to any other web page.

Again, I apologize for my inexperience. I'm hoping a fellow Mac user will have patience and walk me through this.

6. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

I'm not certain of this but isn't PPPoE for using DSL?

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

power cycle the modem.
    ie: unplug the power from the modem for about a minute, then plug it back in...
    that should fix that connection problems to the internet.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

you don't "need" to configure the router after power cycling it but there are a couple things that are recommended:

1. change the password. this is the first thing that needs to happen
    2. change the SSID or don't broadcast it
    3. setup a WEP password if you want to secure it and make it something at least 9 characters long

Just a note: I've had a wireless network for at least 6 years now and have never protected it nor have I had any problems. But if you're concerned, a simple WEP will work just fine.

9. attomica

attomica Active Member

Thanks to all who offered advise. I was able to get it all working well thanks to your insights.