anyone buy a new mac mini?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by samm, Mar 7, 2009.

1. samm

samm Next in Line

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

I'm still undecided. For what you pay + upgrades, it's cheaper to make a hackintosh... Plus user upgradability = poor.

It's $729 in Canada. $100 more for 4GB RAM, $150 for a 500gb 2.5 SATA HDD + 12% taxes.... Not worth it here :(

Edit: Plus I'd run XBMC on it, and that runs perfectly fine under linux

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  3. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

my gf just bought me a new mini.......

it's 2.0GHZ and 1GB of RAM. apparently the only real difference between the video cards on the 599 and 799 versions of the mac are the RAM, and since its shared with system memory, upgrading system memory upgrades the video memory as well.

she got it for me with 1GB, and it's a little too slow for me. i'm probably going to get a 4GB kit going.

4. wilson fisk

wilson fisk BE EASY!

i bought a 1.83ghz mini a few weeks ago and traded it in when the new ones came out.

i had 4GB of ram in the older one and had to return it cause the new minis take 204 pin ram. i always get my ram from macsales.com aka OWC, it was $60 for a new set of 4GB.

works great as a home theater box. im running plex on it and an 2TB external hooked up to a 52" aquos, looks amazing and is crazy fast.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

my co-worker just bought one and is adding in 4gb of ram from crucial too. I think it's a good buy

6. samm

samm Next in Line

for what it's worth, I bought a 2.2 GHz 4 GB of RAM mini earlier this week. Should arrive early next week.

:wiggle:

7. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

so it is going to cost you roughly $700 for this?

my boss is obsessed with mac. he goes all out. we have a bunch of iMacs from the old G5 to the new core duo. Another guy at work just spent $850 for the best mac mini. i was pretty disappointed in the performance of that machine for the price. the 4 year old imac is performing better than this brand new mac mini.

my opinion is this. I personally would never spend the money required to buy even the cheapest mac (mac mini). but even if i was going to buy a pc computer, i would never buy the cheapest model. ive seen people buy a laptop for $200, and the specs are there, but the performance sucks right away. So if I were to like mac, I would invest money in a top end model. Because I myself will never dispute a top end mac. I just don't want to shell out the money it requires to have one. OSX is a very solid system and I actually like this one the most currently

If you HAVE to own a mac, be wise and invest in a good model-to me mac mini is not that.

8. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I would have had one the day they were released if it had an HDMI port. :hsd:

9. samm

samm Next in Line

10. samm

samm Next in Line

Yes, the mini itself was around $750 I think. I bought a wireless keyboard and iWork '09 so the total bill was closer to $900.

This mini is just a home computer, I already have a macbook pro that I use for work.

11. sams0n

sams0n $ OT Supporter

12. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

13. fridexter

fridexter Active Member

For the price you pay on a new Mac Mini, I'd rather just pay slightly more for the previous generation 20" iMac for $889 (no tax + free shipping).

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is pre-installed.
    2.4GHz Intel Intel Core 2 Duo / 1GB DDR2 SDRAM / 250GB hard drive / SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
    ATI Radeon HD 2400XT

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8517119