Anyone bike?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by BradUF, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Everyone seems to just do running and gym but no one bikes. Just wanted to know if anyone bikes and how long they ride, how hard they ride, how much water they drink and what bike they have.

2. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

ccrooks has turned into an endurance weenie, hopefully he'll chime in for you

3. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I have a Trek Y5 that I ride once in a blue moon, I never got into the whole wannabe Lance Armstrong thing.

4. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

I roadbike.. i took this last summer off for no good reason but this coming summer I plan on riding fairly consistantly. Cannondale R700 here. Shimano shoes and speedplay frog pedals. I want to get a new saddle next season... other than that there isn't much I plan on changing.

5. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

HAY! :o

6. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

specialized allez elite '05 (red/white)
    speedplay X/2 pedals
    sidi zeta mesh shoes (blue :o )
    fizik arione saddle should be here tomorrow or friday (white)

i ride often... since july, i've put about 975 miles on my bike and i've just started going on longer rides (put in 50+ miles each of the last sundays)

7. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Endurnace biking is something I am trying to get into. One major problem I am having is that after biking for 2 hours a day my nuts hurt, alot... I bought a special seat, not a granny one, but one with a comfort zone. It still has not really help that much. I am looking at getting some bike shorts but they are 80 bucks for some shorts with pads in them. Anyone have some links to some that are cheaper?

8. 10SE

10SE New Member

Dude... you HAVE to have the shorts. Goofy or not, they will be your saving grace on any ride longer than a jaunt to the corner store. Check out performancebike.com for some closeouts.

Check the angle of your saddle, too. The nose being even slightly elevated will wreak havoc on your nuts. Finally... don't believe all the hype about "special" saddles. You want one that is lightly padded, with a rear portion just wide enough for your sit-bones to fit comfortably on, and a narrow nose. Cushy saddles make for swollen taints.

9. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

get shorts.

pearl izumi.

ebay.

go now

10. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I won't wear those. They make a moutain bike version that does the same thing and costs less but I can't find them online.

11. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

12. BradUF

BradUF Guest

13. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

quality and padding

if you look at the pearl izumi website http://www.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?mode=category&category_id=2&type_id=1&sport_id=2 you'll see varying prices between shorts that look pretty much the same, but the level of padding (chamois) is going to be a lot different

14. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Do I really need an expensive pair of shorts for only 2-3 hours riding a day 5 days a week?

15. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I have a water pack, can you drink too much water? I drink 2 of them on a 2 and a half hour ride.

16. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

yeah, shorts will make a huge difference... even for a couple of hours or so

and what's a water pack? like a camelbak? personally, i hate riding with a backpack... it's way too hot and gets uncomfortable really fast... i just have a pair of water bottles that i bring with me

17. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

one of the guys i ride with says "drink when you're not thirsty, eat when you're not hungry" when talking about nutrition on the bike

18. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

i think he's just more concerned about how he'll look in the shorts

19. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

The important padding is in your shorts. My next saddle will have little if any padding.

20. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

:werd:
    right now, i have a specialized avatar saddle
    [​IMG]

and this is the one i'm waiting on right now
    [​IMG] in white

21. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

in that case, i'd say to buy a pair of briefs and wear 'em under normal shorts... the benefit won't be as good, but they're better than nothing

22. 10SE

10SE New Member

I'm beginning to think that you're full of shit.

Anyone dedicating that kind of time and mileage to riding would know the benefits of lycra and proper hydration by now.

#1 What bike do you ride?
    #2 How old are you?
    #3 Average miles/ speed on these 2-3 hour rides?

23. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

good questions

i'd like to add:
    #4 what kind of terrain do you ride? (i.e. flat, hills, mountains, trail, etc.)

24. BradUF

BradUF Guest

1# I ride a Fisher, just a bike.
    2# 21
    3# Speed, decent. Miles not sure but its far. I dont have a meter to tell me.
    4# Flat, I live in FL.

I have had a water pack for a long time I use but sometimes I feel I drink way to much water.

The lycra, I was at the bike shop a long time ago and they explained it to me, but I dont care I refuse to wear something like that.

25. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

wow... you "refuse" to wear lycra?

if you're going to be serious about this, you really should look into getting a pair of bike shorts with padding... i know it might look gay or make you feel uncomfortable or whatever, but he discomfort that you feel wearing tight shorts pales in comparison to the discomfort you feel when, after about an hour of riding, your dick falls asleep from inadequate padding

you're not drinking too much water, i'm almost positive of it

get a cyclo computer... a basic one is cheap; i think i got mine for 15 bucks on ebay and it does everything i need it to (max speed, avg. speed, current speed, pace arrow, distance, elapsed time, auto start/stop or manual, odometer, clock)... it helps a ton

but seriously, about the shorts, i don't think i could ride for more than half an hour without them. if your butt/nuts/taint are hurting, something's wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.