MIL Anyone been to Kadena AB?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NisAznMonk, Jan 13, 2007.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Anyone been to Kadena AB lately? It is my first duty station, and I'm due to land there around valentine's day. What is life like on the island?

2. Flash

Flash New Member

One of my good friends is there... I hear it's AMAZING. Excellent weather and lots of fun to be had. Great firsty duty station. I'm at Osan right now, and Asia in general kicks ass. Good luck.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Are you comm?

4. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

you'll prolly wanna get your open water scuba certification while you're there. My dad used to love to go diving there.

5. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Me? I'm actually in Intel.

Any possible way I could get your friend's email address? I have a sponsor now but I would love to get as much insight on what it is like over there.

6. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

We have a ton of Intel types from Kadena deployed here with us right now. They all love it! Congrats!

7. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Where are you deployed at?

8. djbuzzfuzz

djbuzzfuzz OT Supporter

Its awsome there.
    Be sure you go to see Gate 2 street and the banana show.

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

How do most people travel around there? a moped?

10. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

I was there from 04-06 and I loved it. The weather is really nice, and there's something for almost anything you'd like to do. You can get a car dirt cheap there too.

11. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Did you live on base?

12. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

I'm stationed out of Camp Foster just down the road from Kadena. It's pretty large base good selection of things to do on base. Okinawa in general is a great place to be, night life is fun and lots of stuff to do during the day. Weather is great when it isn't raining, which it does a good bit. I HIGHLY reccommend you get scuba certified. There are some amazing places to go diving there. I'll be getting back a little after you get there, feel free to hit me up if you want though you'll probably get the gist of it before I even get back.

Travel..most people in the airforce have POVs. The main way of travel I used was taxis (honchos) as I wasn't an NCO yet and you have to be E-4 or above in the Marines to get a pov in Okinawa. One of the biggest club/bar areas is right outside the gate of Kadena so walking/taxis is the best way to get around when you plan on getting drunk. It's a small place, hard to get lost so footing it isn't a problem.

Make the most out of it while you're there, don't be a barracks rat cause theres tons of stuff to do. Make an attempt to learn some Japanese makes things a lot easier and if you like Japanese chicks it'll make things easier there too.

Have fun!

13. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Man that is great news. One of my goals is to get closer to finsihing my degree and also becoming fluent in japanese. I'll definately try not to be a dorm room geek, but it seems hard at times.

14. saw-ool

saw-ool New Member

:rofl:
    Kadena kicks the shit out of any Marine base there. I should've joined the AF

15. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

Kadena > *.MilitaryBaseinOkinawa

I was on Camp Kinser for 2 years and ... well lets just say Kinser sucked ass ... but kadena was always fun ... you have a decent club on base for the weekends, :naughty:

if you're into the japonese culture and the women, get out there as often as possible, the locals are very friendly ... take the basic japonese class on base offered to all mil folks, it will help ... get a japo girl to drive you around, :rofl:

16. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I was going to try and volunteer alot of my spare time in the Japanese community. Hopefully that would help me learn the language a bit faster.

17. BillyJackNCoke

You won't be working on the flightline so that'll make things better. You get shafted working on the flightline

18. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Kadena rocks.

19. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

This couldnt be any more true. I was told the same thing everyone else is saying. "Your so lucky", "that place is a utopia!", "its a dream come true!".

Man FUCK all that shit! Im AGE here. I swear this has to be the worst base in the world for AGE. The workload is freakin ridiculous, the shop is half the size and has half the tools/equipment that my last base had. Yet the workload is like 5 times as much as my last base. Forgot to mention were undermanned like a mofo and were still cutting people! AFSO 21 my fuckin balls!

Ive never had so much appreciation for the good ole USA. Im one of those guys that used to really be into Japanese culture and always wanted to come to Japan (even though this is like its own country its so different). Theres A LOT of locals that dont like the military. Theres a bunch of japanese only bars and clubs. Me and a friend walked into one and I swear it was a scene from a movie. The japanese that were singing kareoke stopped, the music stopped, and the bar owner ran at us yelliing to get out.

Most Japanese girls just look the other way when they see americans. And the majority of them look at you like your trying to kill them if you say something to them. Unless of course your freakin black. Thats the cool thing of the universe here. "Hello Im black, how are you?, lets fuck" bam your in.

Whew..... ok Im done venting. I could go on and on. Theres good things about the place. Mostly everything that doesnt have to do with the military besides the blantant racism towards "gaijins".

20. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Wow that is a real eye opener. I didn't realize the locals were like that. Would that have something to do with the crap that happend in the recent past? I could be wrong, but I remember reading about some rape that happend a few years ago.

21. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

It has to do with a lot of things. But the Japanese like to bring up things that are from wayyyy back all the time. Whenever they are out protesting its about things from years ago like that rape. They will never let it go.

22. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Yeah...Okinawans are pretty racists. No doubt about that.

23. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

wow...I haven't even left tech-school yet and I'm already having problems...

My sponsor gave me my post office box for Kadena AB, but I'm having a heck of a time changing it on my bank's website.

Amn Nobody
    PSC xx BOX xxxxx
    APO AP xxxxx-xxxx

Thats how I got it from my sponsor. The dude isn't very responsive or helpful so I'm kinda stuck.

Now the problem is that everytime I change it the bank's website (Bank of America) always changes the last line to "APO AE xxxxx-xxxx". What the heck am I doing wrong?

24. BillyJackNCoke

That's the correct address. I'd call BofA and let talk to them, do you have a military account w/ them or what?

25. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I actually have both a civilian and military account. I honestly have no idea why but it may come in handy someday. If not then i'll close the military account in the next few months.