MIL Anyone been through SOPC and/or has passed SF Selection?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Biomechanoid, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm concerned about my run/ruck, and am wondering what's the most beneficial training I can do in my spare time to better my chances at selection.

Right now I'm doing an 8 mile ruck "run" 3 times a week (65lb ruck according to the scale), keeping my times between 1 hour 50 min and 1 hour 30 min, but I'm wondering if there's more I can be doing in addition to this.

2. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

Theres a certain character on here who can help you out with some tips more than I can but I can tell you some things about my friend who just went through.

During his selection they were trying out a 2 week course instead of the month long one, and he said he rucked/walked around 150 miles altogether so you do the math. At the end his achilles were so swollen he had a hard time walking. So my tips would be to just keep what youre doing. Mix up the ruck runs by throwin a little more weight on your pack and just going for 12+ miles walks through different kinds of terrain like hills and all that. Only thing you can do to improve your ruck stamina is to ruck.

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Do the majority of your running/rucking on trails, off the sidewalk in the grass, and in sand. This will reduce the impact on your legs, improve muslce endurance, and help build the stability muscles in the legs, especially in the ankle region.

Are you doing any lower body/core calisthenics? One legged squats will be your best friend.

4. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

my upper body has been my weakest point so most of my calisthenics have been concentrated there. I'll try out some of those squats tomorrow and see how it feels

5. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

quick tip for ya:

If you have access to a pool at your base...

I swam with a weighted vest two days a week when I was training - just to give my joints a rest - no impact.

Remember - when you're training for this, if you injure yourself you're done...

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

ouch....feet

7. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

As far as normal rucking goes your times seem good. I'd say work on striding it out and not running with the ruck. Granted I've ran with a ruck and done around 11-12min miles for about 5miles but it was on sand. Also I've heard that not quitting is a good idea too.