MIL Anyone been Camp FOB Salerno (Afghanistan)?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChatChai, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I know that this is a fairly new base but it seems to be hard to find enough current information to really know what kind of accomodations they have out there. More specifically i'm a contractor going out there for the first time so I'm curious.

2. JoJoFine

JoJoFine OT Supporter

Its not new and it sucks

3. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Its been there for years, shit hole.

4. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I've flown in there several times, but my stay there wasn't more than say, 30 minutes on the tarmac. Unload/Load and takeoff. It does look like a shit hole from up high.

5. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Spent most of 2008 there. Not a bad FOB for Afghanistan. Not full of amenities like Bagram, but has some. Mostly hard buildings now for quarters. Decent DFAC. Small MWR with phones, internet, and movie theater. Medium sized PX. Has a Subway ran out of a truck and supposedly they are building a Popeyes there soon. Real nice clamshell gym with newer equipment. Oh and frequently rocketed. So have fun!

6. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

It's been a little over a week since I've been here. It's really not that bad. Then again I only have comparison to Bagram from the short time I was there and Kuwait. It is mainly hard building that I work in and live in. We have 2 rocket attacks since with one hitting on the boundaries and one sailing over. It's not as bad as a friend of mine that is in Kandahar where rockets are a plenty apparently.

Either way this place is really clean and definately short of amenities. The gym is awesome though and they have a martial arts dojo.