GUN Anyone a HAM operator?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dpixel8, Jan 18, 2009.

1. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Thinking of learning, just don't really know where to start, what equipment to buy, where to study for tests, etc. I need a mentor :x:

2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

i've always been interested in this, too. in for answers/suggestions

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

especially now, me thinks

4. Bloody Sunday

wait, you're talking about radios, right?

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

no. someone that quarters a pig :hsugh:

yes radios, retard

6. Bloody Sunday

okay, that's what i thought, FUCK ASS

7. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

8. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I got my technician class 11 years ago (when I was 13) and then got my general class when it came time to renew.

Best way to start is to go on eham.net and take their practice tests. work on the technician ones and just keep taking them, whatever you miss lookup on wikipedia. Once you can get in the 80-100% range everytime you are ready.

Go to arrl.org and lookup where are test is being offered nearby. Bring photo ID, $14 (if it hasn't changed), a calculator, pencil and give yourself at least 2 hours to take it.

You will learn this but your basic license classes:

Technician - Basic radio info and rules, a small bit of technical stuff. Allows you to transmit on most things from about 50 Mhz to 5 GHz in set spectrums. Most transmissions will be in the same local area and state, with exceptions (6 meter can hit good distances) All you need is about $200 to get a radio and accessories that will get decent results.

General - Tech + a bit more theory and safety stuff. Gives you permission to be on most all amateur bands, from 1.8 mhz - 5 ghz. This is where you can talk around the world on a regular basis. Does get more expensive due to needing more radios, specialized antennas, etc.

Amateur Extra - The test is alot of theory and circuit design. Gives you a couple more frequency ranges but not that many. Personally I see it more as showing you can build you own radio and explain HF propgation while drunk. Not as big a step as tech - general.

If you have an active local ham radio club tech is fine. If you are in a big city there is enough traffic to keep things interesting. If not you probably want to go ahead and move to General. Also if you are looking at this from a survival perspective (as this forum often goes) general will be more useful at getting messages long distances.

Keep in mind you do not need a license to own a radio and listen. You just can't transmit. Also most commerical scanners can get at least the technican bands.

Let me know if you have any other questions

9. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

thanks very much :h5:

pm's ok if I have any questions? reading all of this, it seems really technical. or is that just at the start? found a few local clubs who offer testing, so now I just gotta learn it. :hsd:

10. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

KE7QBD :wavey:

I run a Yaesu FT60R

11. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Yeah, I clear out some space in my PM box.

I will say I know the practical stuff, some of the stuff I just memorized for the test.

Oh and I run a yaseu Vx-7r handheld, yaesu ft-100d mobile and a kenwood 820s base station. I do the most mobile and handheld, the base is to play around with, mostly data (think WIFI directly from my house to austraila, just slow)

12. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Got my general a little over a year ago...you can pick up the study guides off amazon for pretty cheap. The tech test is pretty much a joke, just basic regs and some theory/safety questions. The general is a bit more electronics knowledge but still fairly easy. All the test questions are published too so you can just go through and memorize if that works for you. I'd definitely try to do both tests though...vhf/uhf can get kinda boring.

13. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

How difficult would it be to set up a pirate radio station?

14. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Easy....and don't. :nono:

15. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

How else can I recruit followers in the post-apocalyptic capitol wasteland?

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I am, around here the only thing going on is old men talking about their wives and bunions. Ham is dead, long live the innertubes.

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

What kind of range can you get on the handheld's? Nationwide?

until anarchy and Apocalypse and the internets are dead :ugh:
    Plus I'd like to be able to help in case of emergency or local weather related issues. Plus wouldn't mind listening in on local emergency channels (if this is possible)

18. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

KE7YBL here. Feel free to PM me or post up any questions. I did my studying by reviewing the online practice tests on www.qrz.com The question pool is public knowledge, so you'll know what to study for.

Fairly simple to get a tech license to get you on the air. 2M/70 cm coverage will vary depending on your region. Here in OR we have some VERY active and friendly repeaters.

For gear I have an Icom 208H in the truck and a Yaesu VX-7R HT.

19. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

You'll have to start rewiring the Internet from scratch. I'm hoarding Cat-5 cable and will enslave the surviving geek masses :rofl:

I plan on having 100 or so geek concubines, too. HAM radio is for conspiracy theorists.

20. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:hsugh: ever heard of EMP?

21. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I'm hoping to have enough Cat-5 to make a giant faraday cage if need-be. :rofl:

Seriously, though, HAM would be just as dead as anything else in the event of an EMP.

22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

No, not even close to nationwide, take a look at this for a better idea http://nonbovine-ruminations.blogspot.com/2008/05/two-meter-handheld-range.html Most HT's are 2m and 70cm.

If nothing else we can do wifi and a bbs type situation ;)

The ham disaster stuff could be cool, I've never tried it. You might check out http://www.ares.org/

As far as monitoring local services, its a crap shoot. A normal scanner would work fine of course, if possible. I live in a largely rural area and they're using clear analog stuff here stuff but most larger areas are moving, or have moved, to digitally trunked stuff. Check with the local radio shack or ham group and someone can probably tell you.

23. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

It's easy, but don't get you ham license and then start one, then you really get the pound in the ass treatment since 'you know better'.