Anybody use Satellite internet.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stosh, Oct 26, 2004.

1. stosh

stosh BUBBLE BUTT BOBBY MAC

I've seen some of the TV companies also offer internet connection thru their satellite TV connection and was wondering if anybody else uses this?

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

my boss uses it and says it's okay, but he doesn't have any download speeds and he says it goes out in bad weather

3. stosh

FAWK... I'm up schit creek at my apt. I have fiddysuxkay at my apt because I share a cable with my landlords who already have cable internet access and I'm to far out of town to use DSL...

4. col_panic

why not just use cable modem then?

5. stosh

because I"m about 200' away from their house

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

If someone 200' away can get cable internet so can you.

7. stosh

I'm on the same cable as them. I don't pay for TV.

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Okay, that makes sense :) I'd say go wireless (good for ~300 feet) but in my experience when leaching off of someone elses connection it seems to be dog slow.

A friend of mine just got Satellite cuz he was in the middle of nowhere, typically the speeds aren't anywhere close to Cable and like col_panic said, it can drop in bad weather. There is usually a hefty install fee (friend paid $600) as well.

If I were in your situation I'd first try the wireless route if it doesn't work I'd stick with 56k, DSL is shitty (IMO, I've used it in 10+ locations), Satellite is risky and expensive.

9. col_panic

so you have a cable coming into your house. call the provider and get cable internet using *that* cable and a splitter.

10. col_panic

holy shit!

11. stosh

Hrmmmm ok well I'll suggest it to the landlords. They are pretty easy going but if it's an inconvience to them I will be met with resistance.

There is an outlet about 1/2 way between our houses, I wonder if I could add a repeater.

Also dog slow is nowhere near as slow as 56k connecting at 12k/sec which is the highest I can connect at.

12. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Just because your landlord already has cable internet doesn't mean you can't get it too. It's a separate service (at least it is for me) from the cable TV, but it just shows on one bill. Their network is only gonna see the MAC address from your modem, so it should be possible on someone else's cable. You'll just be getting your own bill. Call your cable provider to inquire.

13. stosh

I'm a little confused by what you mean......

This is kinda whats happening.

Cable from road ---------- to landlords house underground for about 500’-----------then at landlords house split-------- line runs from landlords to my apt underground not in conduit for 100’

14. stosh

maybe thats what I should be doing... I'll talk with my landlords tonight about. I have a feeling they already called and discussed this with the cable comp. when they previous tenant lived there and wanted to do the same thing.

15. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

My mother uses Satelite internet also. One other thing to consider is it still uses a Dial Up Connection for uploads. Well hers does anyways. She could have upgraded to bi-directional but the monthly fee would have been $85 as oposed to the $25 she is paying now. Her speeds are much much faster than the 24KBps average she was getting before though.

I would definitely just go the Wireless route. Buy good equipment. Get an upgraded high gain external antenna and just grab a client card for your unit. You could get a great signal 30 feet away for not that much money. You could prolly convince your lanlord by offering to pay $10 bucks a month for their troubles. Although that is not the most legal way of doing it.

I would probably just disconnect their cable line temporarily. Call cable company and have them install all new line from nearest junction to your place. Pay for only Internet. Then just hook up the TV line after they leave...

16. stosh

wow you upload thru a 56k connection?

17. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Yup. Check the Sat Provider. My mothers service still ties up a phone line for uploads but is rather cheap. DirecWAY or DirecDUO which is the service DirecTV offers (or did offer, think they may have sold it) may have bi-directional sat transfers but the upload is still limited to 50KBps on base packages. To get decent upload speeds on a sat connection (like 128 KBps or higher) the service plan will run ya $150 or more per month.

But, Sat connections are the only option for some. My mother works from a home office in the boonies. Miles from a DSL Trunk and can't even get cable...