anybody use ex. hardrives with usb ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by newports01, Jul 22, 2006.

1. newports01

newports01 > than U

how fast can you get data on it? is it as fast as the hardrive inside the computer itself or does the usb slow down the transfer rates?? like if i download 800k a second... can i save it that fast to the ex hardrive?

2. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

USB is very slow in comparison to an internal drive. I only use one when I need to back up large files for a client or when moving large stuff from one network to another and I don't want to wait for transfer across the net.

3. newports01

newports01 > than U

you talking usb or usb2.0? beacuase my cable modem runs off of 1 of my usb ports now beacuse the card got fried and i see the same speeds about 800k a second

4. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

cable modem speeds do not compare to transfer speeds across an IDE or Sata connection.

5. newports01

newports01 > than U

so if my computer is up to par, how long would it take to transfer say 5 gigs from 1 of my internal harddrives to my external via usb 2.0... beacause i already have 2 drives in my system but i need more room

6. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

probably no more than 3-4 mins for 5gb.

7. bangbanger

bangbanger Welcome To Banger Country.

If you have firewire and your external incloser suports it you might want to try that because that is usally a little fast!

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well, i selected 5 gigs worth of shows on my external hard drive to transfer to my system hard drive. the external is usb 2, it took like 4 mins to transfer everything, a little less actually
    [​IMG]

you should be perfectly fine transferring 800 kbps to an external. you have to realize that 800 kbps is really only about 100 kilobytes per second actually data. kbps and KBps are 2 different things, one is bits, the other bytes

if you really looking for speed, invest in a usb2 card or a firewire card or an esata card. i had to pick up a usb2 card because the ones on my mobo only work half the time, it cost me like $5 on ebay shipped

don't hook up your cable modem through usb, it seems like such a waste of an ethernet port to me

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

USB hard drives are great for storing and transferring data between computers. They are not great, however, for heavy applications like storing/editing videos or games or programs.

10. newports01

newports01 > than U

thanks for the input.. reason why im using my cable modem thru usb is because my ethernet got hit by lightning.. what about usb splitters or "hubs".. i have 2 free usb slots but when i get the hardrive i will only have 1 and i dont want to swap alot of cords around.. also where would you guys buy the hardrive and the cases from?

11. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

i bought mine from newegg. Box had healthy amount of packing peanuts and was well taped up. Granted I am having problems with the case their shipping timees and prices are excellent.

Also, many enclosures I looked at support using 2 USB2.0; 1 USB2.0 and eSATA; USB2.0 and Firewire ==> greater transfer speed than a single USB2.0 will support :wiggle:

12. captain_winkie

captain_winkie New Member

$20? Our store sells 'em for $5.

And yes, it's definitely worth it.

13. Apothis

Apothis New Member

A USB2 connection will not be a bottleneck for your system. USB1 had a speed of 11MB/s. USB2 has a speed of 480MB/s. The hdd itself won't be able to write data as fast as the cable transfers it. The hdd write speed will be the bottleneck, not the USB2.

14. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You need to stop talking now.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If this were the case, internal hard drives would connect using USB2.0 just because it's so damn easy. The thing is, USB2.0 is capable of transferring 480MB/s, but only under a very narrow range of conditions; FireWire, on the other hand, has a lower maximum speed but it is more realistically achievable. That's why people who use external storage on a regular basis nowadays use FireWire, not USB2.0.

Like I said, USB2.0 is good enough for data transfer and storage, not for regular use. You'll want external SATA, FireWire, or SCSI for regular use.