Anybody running 2003 Server in a production environment yet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Aug 26, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Is anyone running 2003 Enterprise yet? Have you noticed any performance, scalability, or other differences from 2000? Also, has AD changed much (if at all)?

2. dexedrine

dexedrine Guest

1. Yes, sometimes instead of programming I build servers. I've built about 4 or 5 servers with 2003 on it.
    2. I believe the performance is much better in 2003 then 2000. Scalability, not really sure. Other differences? IE's safe crap is annoying and so is the shutdown thing asking you to type a reason to shutdown.
    3. AD hasn't changed if at all that i've noticed so far.

3. CompiledMonkey

I manage one 2003 server right now, but I haven't really gotten to do much with it. I'm still doing regular releases of our department website (www.isy.vcu.edu). I haven't tried to browse in IE yet, so I wouldn't know about that. I do agree the shutdown thing is annoying though.

Have you tried to cluster any of them yet? I personally am not very knowledgeable about system administration (esp Windows) but I'm learning at my new job. I'm a Network Tech that manages two student labs, the faculty machines, and a server room along with another student tech. We both report to a network manager who really knows what he's doing and can teach us in the process. We're planning on replacing a couple of servers (2 PowerEdge 1650s, 1 PowerEdge 2650, a 4U Dell which I can't think of the model number and 2 Sun 220Rs) with two I2 (dual 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM) machines to run all of our Oracle instances. Which will free up some better servers to be our domain controllers. So, we're going to migrate our current 2000 controllers and AD to 2003 during this whole process. Also, we're getting a storage array so we'll end up building a true clustered environment. I'm curious about how easy it is to cluster in 2003. Like I said before, I'm not going to be in charge of this stuff (although I'll be doing some of the work for sure), but I'd like to have an idea of what's going on before we get to this. Any advice is appreciated. :big grin:

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i've done a couple installs, and only one of them was a "production" system. We were only running a website on it, so i'm not sure about how well the overall machine performed, but it seemed pretty fast. I honestly don't think that there were THAT many changes from 2000 to 2003. At least not like NT4 to 2k. But like any microsoft product, i would stick with the current product until it's more bug-free ;)

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Wow Chris, that job you have now sounds pretty sweet. I wouldn't mind doing something like that durring my time here.

Sorry I don't have any answers for your original question.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Ya no kidding, a boss who knows what he's doing. What a concept!

7. CompiledMonkey

It is pretty cool. I'm really happy to get a chance to learn about the other side of the house for once.

8. CompiledMonkey

Hehe, yeah. He's really smart about all of this stuff. Our other Net Tech has been doing it for awhile, so he knows much more about all of this than I do. But I know he's still learning a lot as well. I was brought on mostly to do development work inside the department, but I'm still trying to pick up some of this stuff and I certainly am there to help out people with problems in the labs.

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Sweet gig.

As far as the annoying shutdown deal, I learned today from a friend of mine that there is a reg hack to remove it. Where? Don't ask.. but he says he's done it. :x:

10. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

Clustering is a LOT easier in 2k3 enterprise compared to win2k adv server. I've got 2 machines clustered A/P @ work running 2k3 enterprise and exchange 2000 w/ the IS on a shared array.

11. ejmack

ejmack Guest

Its awesome, I have it on two servers here at work. Still trying to learn alot of shit...

BTW Exchange 2003 is awesome too ;)

I can't figure out Clustering though :(

12. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

You can change it with a GPO...I have done it. The whole terminal server license issue bugs the hell out of me though :mad:

13. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

I have had Exchange 2003 since the RC1 Candidate, and I am now running Exch 2003 on a windows 2000 SP4 box.

I have extensively played with 2003 server and it is good, and the cool thing about AD is you can drag and drop the OU's around in the tree as where you cannot do so in AD 2000...because of some terminal server issues I went back to trusty 2K. Plus that is what my entire enterprise at work is on, so I guess you stick with what you know.