Anybody recommend a good ASP/Windows web hosting company?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NolanTA, Jan 1, 2004.

1. NolanTA

NolanTA You talkin' to me? OT Supporter

I'm trying to find a host for a site or 3, and my DSL won't cut it. Anybody know of any that are better than average, not too expensive, and will allow MS Access usage?

Thanks.

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

You thought about hosting off of DSL? Ouch.

Access? You're using access with a web site? Access has its uses, but its not for web sites. If the site has low traffic, you may be ok (or just plain lucky). But I would HIGHLY recommend switching to something (no, make that anything) that is actually stable AND fast.

3. NolanTA

NolanTA You talkin' to me? OT Supporter

I host some small personal stuff on my DSL already, it's fine for 2 or 3 users at times.

And you'd probably be surprised how well Access will work for small sites as well. No stability issues whatsoever, and it's comparable to MS SQL for the volume of traffic it gets.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Access was designed for home use. Access is NOT scalable to meet a site's traffic demands. Granted, under the bandwidth of a DSL connection it might be fine, but serious sites are not hosted successfully under a home DSL connection (I'm not saying they can't be hosted, but as you mentioned, you can only support 3-4 concurrent users - which just so happens to be the same amount of users Access can successfully handle).

5. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

1and1.com