GUN Anybody know anything about exploding targets

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maliboost, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

2. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

hmmmm guess not I've been looking all over can't find anything

3. Furner

Furner New Member

I know they make a really good boom!

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

They look to be somewhat expensive...

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i hear shooting spray paint cans at 15 feet is much more economical and entertaining if you're standing downwind.

6. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

it's not that entertaining.

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

stand closer?

8. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I've used quite a bit of tannerite, but I couldn't even begin to tell you what the stuff is. I'm guessing the company isn't going to release the exact formula since it was invented in house and they wouldn't other places to start making it. It's some great stuff though :bigthumb:

9. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Hahaha me and my cousin shot one at like 30 with a 44 magnum...

:rofl::rofl:

10. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

there is a couple other places that make them that I've found i just wish i knew what was in them because I know it will be a million times cheaper than buying them from a company

11. Furner

Furner New Member

have fun picking paint can out of your eyeball

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:werd:

I heard those cans of CS gas you get to ward off bears look the coolest.

13. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

I finally found out whats in them now i just need to find a supply
    This is what i found on a patent site

"A binary exploding target package, a process of forming an exploding target from the contents of the binary exploding target package, and the exploding target formed therefrom. The binary exploding target package includes a first, target container and a second container. An oxidizer composition is contained within one of the containers and a catalyst composition is contained within the other container. An exploding target is formed by mixing the oxidizer and catalyst compositions, and introducing the mixture into the target container to form an exploding target just prior to using the exploding target as a target for a shooting exercise.

Claims

The invention claimed is:

1. A binary exploding target package, said package including:

a first, target container and a second container;

one of said first and second containers containing an oxidizer composition, and the other of said first and second containers containing a catalyst composition;

said oxidizer composition including ammonium nitrate in an amount between about 50% and 100% by weight, and ammonium perchlorate in an amount between 0% and about 50% by weight;

said catalyst composition including aluminum powder and minor amounts of titanium sponge and zirconium hydride;

said target container being sized to receive a mixture comprised of all of said oxidizer composition and all of said catalyst composition.

2. The binary exploding target package of claim 1 wherein said target container has an outer surface that includes a target fixed thereon.

3. The binary exploding target package of claim 1 wherein said target container is formed of a material which shatters into very small pieces of a non-injurious size upon detonation.

4. The binary exploding target package of claim 3 wherein said target container is formed of polyethylene.

5. The binary exploding target package of claim 1 wherein said oxidizer composition includes about 85% by weight ammonium nitrate and about 15% by weight ammonium perchlorate.

6. The binary exploding target package of claim 1 wherein said catalyst composition includes about 90% by weight aluminum powder, about 5% by weight titanium sponge, and about 5% by weight zirconium hydride.

7. The binary exploding target package of claim 6 wherein said aluminum powder is explosive grade aluminum powder having a particle size of about 500 mesh.

8. The binary exploding target package of claim 6 wherein said titanium sponge has a particle size of about 325 mesh.

9. The binary exploding target package of claim 6 wherein said zirconium hydride has a particle size of about 200 mesh.

10. The binary exploding target package of claim 1 wherein the weight ratio of said oxidizer composition to said catalyst composition is about 8:1.

11. A binary exploding target comprising:

a target container containing an oxidizer composition, said oxidizer composition including ammonium nitrate in an amount between about 50% and 100% by weight and ammonium perchlorate in an amount between 0% and about 50% by weight; and" ect. ect. ect.

14. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

oh and if anybody can get these chemicals let me know

15. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

With your av, you should not own a firearm. Or any kind of chemical.

16. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

I don't need comments from people like you who choose to be ignorant about something such as marijuana, if you want to listen to what other people say about something instead of learning about it on your own don't knock it, I bet your the type that wears a seatbelt because it's illegal not to.

17. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I didn't read your all of that about it but most chemicals you have to get from chemical supply companies who will only sell to businesses or to schools/universities. Some chemicals are also government controlled so they're not completely easy for the normal person to get their hands on.

18. Furner

Furner New Member

why not just buy from tannerite? at least he knows his shit and you know you are getting a product that is tested and has been successfully used by others in the past.

19. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

main reason-price sure i'll probably buy some from him but i'd like to see if i could save myself some money by making my own

20. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If I remember right, Tannerite falls under pyrotechnics. If you wish to make your own, have a look at what you need to do to be legal.

http://www.pyropage.com/GettingLegal/GettingLegal.html
    just an example of what's needed.

As for using those. I find it rather hard to believe that just anyone can buy and use thier products without some form of license. It is afterall an explosive. I would be contacting local and state authorities before even trying their stuff out.

21. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

from what i've been reading is they are legal and only so because your mixing them yourself, it would be illeagal to buy them premixed or to sell them once you've mixed them