Anybody into building speakers? Post what you've built.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StraX22, Dec 17, 2004.

1. StraX22

StraX22 Stuckitude

I built this Audax 3-way center channel a while ago. Best center channel I've ever heard, and it only cost me about $200 to build.

[​IMG]

The finish is PPG black automotive paint with a lot of gold pearl in the clear coat. You can only see the gold if you catch it in the light just right.

I was thinking about building some Adire Audio kit 281 speakers for the L/R. Anybody have any experience with those?

2. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Why three? Two works just as well.

3. StraX22

StraX22 Stuckitude

Two way centers just sound too "chesty" in the vocals. And not to mention this three way can play down to 20hz no problem. :)

4. 04

04 Guest

I wouldnt say that the fact that a center channel is two way that it automatically makes the sound "chesty". Id say that sound is typically associated with speakers that have an improperly designed enclosure for the midwoofers being used.

It can play down to 20hz, but at what amplitude window? +/-3dB? +/-10dB? I wouldnt run a center channel down that low if you can use a high pass filter, as you could run into excursion issues.

Is that a kit or did you design it yourself?

5. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

I want to build a set of towers with the Adire 228 (I think) kit.

6. 04

04 Guest

In a setup where you have two or more woofers running pretty high frequency, you start to run into problems with off-axis response on the axis parallel with the orientation of the woofers.

For example, in a center channel, the woofers are lined up horizontally. Lets say you are sitting with your head positioned exactly on the same axises as the speaker. Your frequency response might be super flat. If you move your head up or down, the sound wont change all that much because the orientation of the two woofers doesnt change very much at all in relation to your head. HOWEVER, if you were to move your head left to right, you will begin to have a different distances between the two woofers and your ears, and that will cause acoustical problems.

The 3 way center channel helps alieveate this by having a single midrange, so that if you sit off axis, the response wont change as much at higher frequencies. Since lower frequencies have a longer wavelength, they arent as affected by this as high frequencies, and thus, a 3 way center channel with a single mid can be an excellent choice if the speaker system is well engineered.

7. StraX22

StraX22 Stuckitude

The speaker was designed by Joe D'Appolito for Audax, I just got the plans off their site and ordered the parts and built it. I keep the speaker crossed over at 99HZ for normal operation. After I finished building it and had it broken in, I broke out the signal generator for kicks. As far as amplitude window, I have no idea, it did play that low at a normal listening level any higher ant it would start to get port noise.

8. John

John Guest

I'm building a pair of Dayton III MTMs

I just finished soldering the crossovers tonight. I've finished 1 enclosure, the other will be built in January. Since I am doing this for a woodworking class at school it really takes a while to get anywhere since I can only work 45 minutes a day and that includes setup and cleanup. My cabinet isn't perfect, the front baffle has a few imperfections because I used the method my teacher wanted for cutting out the driver holes :/ I am still deciding between paint and veneer, I'll probaly go with a black finish like the first post.

9. 04

04 Guest

:cool:

Yeah Joe D'Appolito is a great designer. I bet it sounds excellent.

10. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

11. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Id say 20hz is being more than just a little optimistic. As for the left and right speakers, why not just build 2 more of these for a seemless front stage?

12. StraX22

StraX22 Stuckitude

Well, I'd rather not build two more of the same speaker because that wou'd be as fun as building a different set of speakers. :)
    And besides, I want to play around with some T-Lines.