Anybody here with COX HD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slappy3243, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

I want to take the plunge into HDTV but have a few questions. I live in Northern VA and I have COX digital cable. They offer their HDTV service of course for a few bucks more per month. However, I am confused about the actual setup. Will the the HD set-top still received the coaxial cable from my wall? I am assuming it has to since I am still using cable.

http://www.cox.com/fairfax/DigitalCa...usersguide.pdf

That would be the unit I am assuming I would receive. Since I don't have a DVD player in my room, it looks like the coaxial cable from the wall will go directly into the set-top, and then another coaxial connection will be made from the set-top to the television along with the audio cables.

What I don't get is where do the HDMI cables come into play? If I want to hook up an XBOX360 or PS3 directly to my TV? I am confused and I don't know if the coaxial cable can transfer an HD picture (720p).

How do you guys have yours setup? My is simple, just the TV since this is for my room. No receiver or anything. Yes I work in IT but that doesn't mean I know anything about home entertainment besides my computer. Thanks

Edit: http://www.cox.com/fairfax/digitalcable/hdtvhookupdiagram.asp

That looks like the box I would receive. It would connect to the HDTV via component cables. A guy on another board mentioned that soon I will be required to have an HDMI connection to the TV since component cables are an Analog signal and cannot unscramble DRM content.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

For HD, get rid of cable. DirecTV currently has the best selection of HDTV.

3. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

That may be a pain in the ass and cost more money. Would our Tivo work with DirecTV? It is not an HD tivo, but it is connected to our cable. Also, I am assuming we will have no problems keeping COX cable internet with the switch? I don't think DirecTV is the best idea since I have the cable modem + router connected in my room. I have a splitter that goes to the cable modem and my television. I am assuming this would no longer work with DirecTV.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

You'll get a new HD set top box to replace your current digital cable box. Looks like you'll need component to connect your HDTV to the new set top box, don't use coax or anything like that. If your TV has other HDMI/component inputs you can use those for DVD players, PS3, XBOX or what ever else you have. You can keep your current TIVO, I woudl hook it up with SVideo or something along those lines.

5. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

Yeah, I would use the component cables from the set top box to the TV. I am just wondering what happens when HDMI is required because of the DRM crap.

6. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Is that even an HD box in that diagram? I have COX in RI and I have a motorola 6400 series HD box w/DVR.

You do not need HDMI to watch HD channels, component will be fine.

7. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

That is the shitty diagram they give on their website. They use "Scientific Atlanta" (a Cisco company) out here as far as I know. All I would need is an Explorer 4240HDC like this one here:
    http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/consumers/userguidepdfs/4015107.pdf

I am going to call those fuckers tomorrow. I understand that I can use componet for high def but I would rather have the HDMI because of future issues that may occur with the DRM shit.

8. FlakBait

FlakBait New Member

the 4240hdc uses hdmi or dvi or component

9. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

Thanks. That is the HD box I received and have been running for a while now using HDMI out. Looks great. :cool: Only an extra $1.40 to lease per month too.

10. FlakBait

FlakBait New Member

Cool. I just got mine today and love it already. Hopefully Cox will roll out some of those 80 HD channels soon that are expected throughout the year.

:h5:

11. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

Yeah, I wish there were more but pretty much all of the channels I watch are in HD anyway like the History channel, National Geographic, NBC (Conan), TLC...etc.

12. Avenger97

Avenger97 New Member

I just got Cox HD here in RI today , and have a weird problem..

we got the hi def converter box today ( moto 6400 series). hooked it up via component , and it worked.. but no hi def channels.. so we call the number that ur supposed to call and it sends a signal to the box..

signal comes across.. and the box reboots.. then no video , only audio.. tried again. same problem , checked all connections, they were fine..

called tech support.. and they sent a couple signals to the box.. no change. i went to the office.. exchanged boxes.. same thing.. sent the inital signal to th box.. and right away after the reboot.. no video only audio...

any ideas??? cox has a tech coming out here on thursday.. but id like to get it working before then....