Anybody here have experience with KDevelop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Feb 21, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

One of my buddies at Bell Labs told me about KDevelop, and it looks promising. If I'm going to actually use Linux for anything more than web browsing, I'm damn well not going to be a passenger, and KDevelop is the single nicest-looking IDE I've seen thus far for Linux.

Has anybody here used it? Does it work as well as it appears to? Does it handle the details of window-building, or does it make you write code before buttons will click and scrollbars will scroll, and other such nonsense?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Check out Eclipse, unless you just really wanna write KDE apps.

3. deusexaethera

Yeah, KDE seems to be kinda out in left field compared to other Linux window managers -- they've got their own GUI API and everything. That said, it's my favorite WM of the ones I've tried (Gnome, Xfce, KDE, Enlightenment).

Eclipse conforms to GTK better, then?

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I haven't looked at the X based GUI stuff in a long time. If I were writing a rich client app for Linux, I would be using Java and SWT/JFace. When I coded GTk+ it was using some primitive toolset, but it did let me assemble widgets visually. There is probably a GTk+ visual setup for Eclipse. They have everything for Eclipse. Outside of MS land, it is the king of IDEs.

5. deusexaethera

I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Oddly enough, the same guy who told me about KDevelop also said that he'd kill me on the spot if I mentioned Eclipse in his presence ever again.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I love XFCE. It's the perfect window manger, imho. Simple, fast, yet powerful and beautiful.

Eclipse is very bloated and slow, imo... But it is a powerful modular editing environment.

7. deusexaethera

I'm actually running Xubuntu on my old laptop to save memory, but I've always thought KDE was the most polished WM. Or I dunno, maybe I just like it because it's blue.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

KDE is so unstable.

9. deusexaethera

Really? I've never had stability problems with any of the widely-used WMs.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I like the GNome. Then again... I like Aqua better. I refuse to use anything else if there is any option whatsoever.

11. deusexaethera

butbutbut...Aqua isn't X11! :noes:

Once again, the same guy tells me that he too prefers Aqua over any other window manager. Not surprising, considering that Apple's bread and butter is the best possible user experience.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I use Aqua to develop on Solaris, Linux (used to until we moved to Solaris) and Windows using Eclipse/subversion/subclipse, ssh, Parallels and SQL Server Manager, etc. There's not reason not to use the best GUI if you can easily work on any platform through it.

Cross platform tools are great: I can run everything I write on Windows, or any modern *nix if I want: Perl, MySQL, Apache will run on anything.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you leave the world of ww then you can't really enjoy the same freedom.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Of course I can. I'm doing SQL Server development as well. I run windows inside OS X. I do Unix development. I ssh in to a Sun box.

Now, could I do Rich Client development for windows? Well, obviously you can only do that from windows, so I could do it in parallels, but that would suck. But fuck windows.

15. deusexaethera

Which is to say, fuck having a profitable business model.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Hardly. See, there's this thing called the web browser and the thin client. Whats that one company that is the most innovative and profitable in the whole fucking world as of late called that doesn't use windows? Its like... big. You know, really big. Like... billions. Hmmmm... Wacky Dillet? Juniper Trees and Shrubs? Oh no... its fucking Google. Yeah, no examples of a non-windows business being profitable. They're an anomaly.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there's a lot that is awkward and inconvenient in a web-interface.

Visage is an example of one of the best efforts to create usable powerful interface with the web, and it's still not transparent.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It depends on what you're doing. I work in a domain where web based works very, very well because applications exist that provide the same functionality as ours. The problem is: they are so complicated and inconvenient to use, that the people who are supposed to use them don't. So they aren't useful. A simple web interface is easier to build than the equivalent windows interface, because standard widgets don't cut it. They confuse the hell out of people, and the competition already does a lousy job with that model.

You use AJAX for interaction right up until things get too rich or complex, then you use flash. You can do anything you could do in windows... and you do ONLY that which adds to your application. This leads to better software.

Where a web app is not suitable, for say... a point of sale station, Java is just as suitable as VB. Even more suitable, if its on a super cheap thin client.

I don't need windows. We are more efficient and cost effective without it. We seamlessly integrate with Windows through a web browser, and that is what makes us so kick ass.

The best example of a web interface that does a whole lot is salesforce. Salesforce is far superior to any rich client, because it does everything you need CRM to do, and nothing more. There's no extra shit like in rich apps. Its great.

If you're writing shrink wrap software, then have fun with that. Windows is the way to go. Otherwise... all the most innovative products don't make much use of it.