Anybody here have a GeForce 7800 gt?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MSF, Apr 18, 2006.

1. MSF

MSF New Member

I'm having problems with mine. I recently had one that worked for three months and then all of a sudden it didn't like working anymore. I couldn't get past the windows loading screen while starting my computer up. The screen would go blank and the monitor would say "Off mode in 5 seconds" indicating that it was not receiving any information from the computer anymore.

So I sent it in for an RMA and the brand new one they sent me back is having the exact problem (minus the working for three months part). While in normal windows I tried installing the drivers and once it get about half way through installing and does the screen test/flicker part it just shuts off. It will start up in safe mode, however, after installing the drivers there it just does the same shit again when it starts up in normal mode.

BFG tech support hasn't been overly helpful and is suggesting I get another RMA, but I'm curious if there is some kind of hardware conflict or something. I even went so far as formatting my computer and starting again in hopes that something was corrupted and I could get a clean slate. That had no effect either.

If anyone has had a similar experience or maybe has some suggestions it would be much appreciated. I loathe the idea of spending more money to send this bitch in again.

Here is my setup if it helps:
    Abit AA8-Duramax Motherboard
    Intel P4 3.2ghz
    BFG Tech Geforce 7800 GT PCI-E
    OCZ Modstream 450w psu
    OCZ Gold Series 1GB 240pin

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Well, it's possible that your power supply is failing.
    Buy yourself a power supply tester. You can get one for about 10 bucks, and that's a cheap troubleshooter. Even if it's not the power supply, you'll have eliminated a major possibility.

3. MSF

MSF New Member

Thanks. I'll pick one up.