SRS Anybody here ever have an anxiety attack?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Romeo Cologne, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Romeo Cologne

Romeo Cologne New Member

I think I just did...
    I'd really like some input, but first a brief history.

For the last month or so, I've been considering switching employers. I am currently in the mortgage business and have been having a roller coaster year (financially speaking). I've been weighing the option of taking a position with steady pay, benefits, the whole shebang. The only thing is... I'm HAPPY where I am.

I am being sought after by a local consumer finance operation as their assistant manager. This particular office's parent company is one of the top 100 companies to work for in 2005, according to Fortune Magazine.

After getting into the mortgage biz, I told myself that I'd never work in a large coporate enviornmet again, but feel the need to out of neccesity at this point. I would be gaining a steady paycheck, insurance benefits, etc...

On the flipside, I'd be giving up the time and effort I've spent in developing the local relationships I've come to aquire in this industry. I'd also be giving up the ability to have above average income during the months when my business is good.

Friday, I bit the bullet and scheduled an interview with this particular company for 2:00 this afternoon. As noon approached, I started becoming very aprehensive about going. It wasn't the fear of the interview that started to make me feel this way, but the fear of perhaps making a HUGE mistake regarding my career.

As I left for the interview, my heart started pounding and I became more anxious about the situation than just about any other experience in my life. I became flush and wanted to go anywhere but to the interview. I could seriously feel my blood pressure skyrocketing. I have never felt anything like it.

Upon arriving for the interview, I was told that the manager was not even in the building and had left an application for me to fill out. I was told to bring it back in tomorrow, when I would be interviewd by the regional manager.

It has taken me nearly an hour and a half to come back "down" from this...

Sorry for the novel, but hopefully I can get some good advice on:

1) Did I have an anxiety attack?

2) What should I do about my job?

2. lauren

lauren Active Member

yeah. i get them all the time (once prepped for a week for an interview, day of i got up, dressed and ready and then proceded to hide in the closet when my friend came over to give me a ride over. )

part of the problem is once it starts, its easy to cascade into something big. youre going to have to find some way to calm and collect yourself, and everyone has something diffent. i hyperventalate, blood pressure rises and i have this overwhelming urge to flee. i have what my friends call as 'shrink mode' whiich i kind of go into whenever i have to interview or talk to new people (hate strangers).

try not to build it up so much. there are many oppertunities for a job change, and eventually something will work out be it at a corporate joint or what you are doing now. it takes paitence.

will the new job require a move? moving doesnt mean you have to lose those contacts, they just become different. also, if you dont have to move, whats the possibilty of continuing your morgage work on the side, or during peak season or atleast keeping the contacts up?

are you currently self employed, or in a partnership of sorts? you need to evaluate where you see yourself in 10 years at both places, and the kind of future each place holds for you. are you currently self insuring for medical expenses and retirement? depending on your age, the switch might be prudent. corporate isnt all bad, it is more stable but the chance of significant salarie increase is less. smaller businesses have more drastic financial potential, and greater satisfaction, but also greater risk.

what do you know about the company culture at the new place? do you think its something you would fit in with? also, personality wise, some people dont do well with the buracracy in a major corporation, and if you are that kinda of person you are almost gaurenteed some degree of hardship.

sorry, thats a lot to say 'i dont know'

3. conjur

conjur Guest

Stress can do amazing and awful things to the body and the mind.

I started having them a few summers ago when I was going thru a divorce and then lost my job.

You'll likely get all kinds of responses from various people:

1) It's all in your mind (well, yeah, sorta)
    2) Go get some counseling
    3) Take some meds (Paxil, Zoloft, etc.)
    4) Learn some breathing/relaxation techniques
    5) You'll snap out of it.

Usually some combination of 2, 3, and 4 help. Some people respond to counseling and learn stress reduction techniques. Some people require medication. And, of those, some can go off the medication after several months while others will need to be medicated permanently.

One thing is for sure, ignoring it and letting stress build won't do you any good. There is no shame in a steady paycheck in a corporate environment. I went back to that route and it's been good for me.

Good luck to ya!

4. Romeo Cologne

Romeo Cologne New Member

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I think part of the reason I reacted the way I did has to do with the inventory I took of myself while prepping for the interview. I really started to feel that the only reason I was even going was to "run away" from my current situation without having to deal with it. The reasons for scheduling the interview made sense, but I am a person who has always had a problem dealing with the beauraucracy that comes with larger organizations.

Yesterday's "attack" was insane... I have never felt that anxious about anything in my life, but unlike lstill25, I can rule out a fear of new people since I am a big time "people person". I also knew that if I was interviewed yesterday, I would have nailed it. Then I would have been FORCED into making a decision.

For now, I am going to listen to my gut and believe that the anxiety was a sign. I'm also going to believe that the interviewer's "no show" happened for a reason. After my melt down yesterday, I can not see how anything positive could come out of me dragging myself to the same place that triggered the attack day after day. In my opinion, that's just a recipe for disaster.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Here's the thing ' They have more reason to be afraid of me , then I of them ' I always say that to myself when i have a interview clash ahead of me or anxiety situations. That look at these kind of things just as a 'formality' look at your job you have now and what lies possibly ahead , now i don't know if your mother ever said to you while having dinner, that if there was something you didn't know, and refused to taste it. That she would say 'at least try it once' if you don't like it you don't have to eat. The same philosophy goes out for your carreer, you should at least 'try it' , it might be unconformtable in the beginning, but maby its even better then what you are doing now, fear is nothing more then a cage in which you confine yourself from progressing further. You can't stop progress, so why are you stopping yourself?

6. Romeo Cologne

Romeo Cologne New Member

The thing is, I've BEEN in that enviornment. I tried it for 6 years. It's the main reason I wince when I think of going back.

I'm not opposed to the structure that a job like that would give me.. sometimes the structure is good. That very same "structure" is also a cage, however. There is no ceiling where I currently work, however, I'm on my own regarding benefits, retirement, etc. When consistantly busy, I'm very content with what I do and enjoy the freedom I have. I think that's a big part of why I was feeling so anxious... I was weighing everything I would be giving up by taking the afore mentioned job and comparing it to what I migt be gaining.

7. adam007

adam007 New Member

dont do it, your brain trying to tell you something.

8. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Go with your gut. I too have turned down jobs in more established companies in favor of the happiness and freedom I got somewhere else.

Now, the place I've stayed for 8 years that started out as the little-company-that-could has turned into a structured corp. environment I worked so hard to avoid.... so I'm planning on jumping ship to play my luck starting my own company, once again turning down security and a regular paycheck for the unknown.

But this spot has always held the most attraction to me because if the freedom and possiblity for bigger personal reward.

Don't force yourself into a situation you hate...just because of money. You'll regret it.