SRS anybody have a parents situation?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by snwo2olah, May 17, 2005.

1. snwo2olah

snwo2olah Guest

Let me just state facts.

22 years old.

Work 2 jobs. One during the week, the other during the weekend.
    used to pay parents 400 / mo rent, now its gone up to 600.
    my parents get rent ontime every month, a clean house, and an obidient son. The only reason I live at home is because im in school to try to open up my own business. However, my parents feel the need to treat me like a kid. I'm strung up and trapped here. I cannot do anything but do what they say. Get home from working, or handing out resumes for another job, and im sent to the back yard to shovel 1500lbs of gravel across the yard, and then when i finished, was told to haul it all over to the neighbors yard. I was given a flood light at 10 pm when the sun went down so i could see what i was doing. What happens if i would have said, fuck this, im not doing it? Boom, kicked out of the house. See, some people have hobbies. My hobby and other source of spending money is graphic design, web design. My father decides its in my best interest that he takes my computer downtown to use as a webserver. i paid nearly 800 bucks for all of it, put it all together myself. I also love xbox live and halo 2, but am no longer permitted to play, as both my xboxes are now locked up in a 24 hour monitored, patrolled, securely locked server rack, above my computer. Everything i have, or anything i do to keep my self from killing people has just been taken away by my parents. They wont explain their logic, why they do things, nor will they make any attempts are rectifying the situation. my 19 year old sister spent her college fund on her boyfriend. she got a trip to mexico with her boyfriend paid for, for her 18th birthday.

I got 2 beers at the bar and a card with 18 bucks in it. She doesnt pay rent, she gets spending money for her and her asshole boyfriend. she doesnt even have a fucking JOB, meanwhile im working 2 of them!

im seriously stressed and in tears at the utter bullshitness of my life in my parents home. im stuck, i dont know what to do. friends and family have no space for me to live with them, and moving out on my own is not an option, i simply cannot afford it even with 2 jobs. every piece of money that i had saved has gone to them because they need it. nevermind the fact that they can go spend $500 on a quaker parrot, or 100 bucks on some 'rare' bunny rabbit. No, nevermind that hignes and vance guitar head or that extra guitar and pedal. :rolleyes: i just cant take it anymore and i dont know what to do. im simply at the end of my rope and all my options have been exhausted.

2. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

What area of the United States do you live in? If you are paying 600 for rent, it is possible that you can find something if you got a friend to go in with you on a duplex, an apartment, a house, or whatever you happen to find. I know that is easier said than done, because you need money for more than just rent.

You said your parents would kick you out if you didn't do what they said..did they say this or is this what you perceive? Talking with them might not hurt. You don't have to give ultimatums or anything at first, but feel out the situation to see if there is some compromise you can make about your XBOX...I know as a 22 year old, you shouldn't have to bargain with parents over thigns you pay for and have invested tine in, but if they would really kick you out for wanting it your way...hmmph

is it possible that you could live oncampus and have some financial aid to help you get through school? the FAFSA might be able to grant you some grants or ubsubsidized loans, depending on what your family would qualify for

3. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

P.s

I am 23 and living at my parent's house. I also came here to save money. They don't expect near as much as me, but I feel like I am 14 whenever I stay with them. No matter how much I contribute, they find something to badger me about. What I did in the past when they were hounding me about a curfew and other things, was spend some time away from the house, whether it was THE job or at other people's houses for escape or doing a hobby that I could do at my friend's houses..

4. johan

johan Active Member

600/mo is enough to move out. You can find a shared housing situation for 600/mo easily. Depending on what city you live in, you might even find a small apartment.

You need to make the leap to full-on adulthood sometime. Might as well be now.

Your parents might treat you better once you're gone, and have demonstrated your self-sufficiency in the world. Wouldn't hurt to be more successful than them either.

Don't worry that you get shit on and your sister gets her ass kissed every night. Toughen up and you'll have the final satisfaction in the end. Leave home and grab the world by the balls and really make something of yourself.

They can come visit you in your 6,000 sq ft split level rancher, and you get to kick them out at the end of the evening.

Respect must be earned.

5. snwo2olah

snwo2olah Guest

good advice guys, however I live in canada. :) And in my city, there isn't much for 600 / month, considering there is utilities, heat, water, and all that other good stuff on top of it. All my friends live out of the city and I often times use my xbox voice chat to talk to them, because long distance p hone calls are too expensive. Maybe someone here needs an extra roomate? :x:

6. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Tell em to fuck off bro....U need to before they maka a vegetable out of you

7. johan

johan Active Member

Dude, I live in Canada too, 600/mo isn't great but it's not unreasonable either.
    You have to make a choice, and it's a hard one. No you won't have the same level of comfort you have now.

But you must choose between physical comfort (living at home) or psychological comfort, which comes from living on your own, and knowing that you are master of your own destiny.

Even though it means sharing a house with a couple of other guys, and playing less xbox (for a while) and having less toys.

Your own apartment won't be possible but a shared house definitely is.
    Look, this isn't about us looking up "for rent" listings for you. This is about us helping you with direction in your life. That's the deeper issue here.

The rent, whether it be 400/mo, 600/mo, 1200/mo is quite irrelevant. Ask yourself.
    How bad do you want it? How bad do you want success? How bad do you want freedom and self-determination?

This is what I meant by grab life by the balls, toughen up, and make something of yourself.

We have many shaping moments in our lives. Turning points that define the years that come after.
    You are fast approaching one. Look ahead to the life you want, and alter course accordingly.

8. snwo2olah

snwo2olah Guest

The thing is, I lived for 8 months with roomates, i had a taste of freedom and my shit got fucked up by choosing the wrong roomates. I had to move back in with my parents, and whats when this shit all started.

9. snwo2olah

snwo2olah Guest

but whatever you know. I go to work, come home, eat dinner, and sleep. Now thats about all I do these past few days lol. There is nothing else to do besides school work every few days of the week. gad. I cant wait to be done.